Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: first time

Thanks

Default Trails

The most popular trails are Tuckerman and Lion Head on the east side, Ammonoosuc and Jewell on the west. Best advice is get a map or better yet a trail guide, there is one specific to The Presidentials:

http://www.mountwashington.org/store...roducts_id=118

This will give you trail descriptions and a Tyvek map. Also, read as many threads in this forum as possible. There is great advice from people who have climbed Washington many times.

KDT

Thanks

Default ammo-jewell

Thanks everybody for the great tips. Look like ammo-jewell is the most likely one. Can it be done in 5 or 6 hrs at a comfortable pace? and what would be the proper gear plus food and water for the Hike?

Thanks

Default Ammo-Jewell Loop

The Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail combined with the Crawford Path to the summit is 4.5 miles and 3800' elevation gain. The Jewell Trail combined with the Gulfside Trail and Trinity Heights Connector is 5.1 miles and 3900'. Either way you go the trip is 9.6 miles with several of those miles above treeline where you can expect everything from scorching sun to thunderstorms and maybe even hail, sleet or snow. Or maybe you'll be lucky and have what we call a "Bluebird Day", it's hard to say, and the weather can change several times during your climb.

There is no shelter except on the summit where you could buy food and water, assuming you make it, and at Lakes of the Clouds AMC Hut. This by no way means to not carry food and water with you, or to push on to the summit when there is good reason to turn back . Many get themselves in trouble by making the mistake of thinking that food and shelter are just a little further when they should be heading down the best way they can.

The book time for this hike is 8 hrs and 40 minutes which goes by 1/2 hr for every mile climbed to give inexperienced hikers something to use as a basic rule of thumb. This can vary greatly with experience, weight carried, fatigue, etc.

As for food and water, this has been covered in previous threads in this section of this forum, again I suggest you read these. There is much info already covered there that you will find useful. That which you don't find covered there can be found in the AMC guides I suggested previously. I'm not trying to sell books, I just think anyone interested in climbing Washington should educate themselves as much as possible before the attempt. There is a list in the Sherman Adams Building at the summit of over 140 people who have died on the mountain, and the list grows every year. I'm not trying to scare anyone off, I just want people to understand the seriousness of the undertaking.

Good luck and keep us posted of your plans and how it goes. Now that you've joined us we expect pictures and a trip report when you're done.

KDT

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KD Talbot
    Good luck and keep us posted of your plans and how it goes. Now that you've joined us we expect pictures and a trip report when you're done.

KDT
    Ditto on that!
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Default ammo-jewell trail

Regarding the hike we took my 53 yr. old friend on, we left the Cog Base around 815am, loafed at LofC Hut, gallywagged at the Top about an hour and got down around 6pm. We were a group of 6, youngest 12, oldest 38, so we moved at group pace. (never hike faster than the slowest member)We had poor visibility till after lunch when the NW wind kicked in and cleared off so weather wasn't really a factor.