Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Huntington Ravine 6/25/07

Thanks

Default Huntington Ravine 6/25/07

It was hot and muggy, visibility was poor and the blackflies were out enmass. A bad day on the Rockpile still beats a good day at work.

This trail was completely free and clear of ice whereas Tuck's is still closed from Hermit Lake to the Lip. We climbed in the heat, put up with the flies and had a brief shower before reaching the top of the ravine.

Our goal was the Alpine Garden, not the summit, and after the tough climb we strolled through the garden like we were at the Arborway in Cambridge. Many flowers were out and many more were ready to blossom. Beautiful.

Pictures and full trip report here:

http://ghostflowers.com/white_mtns40...gton62507.html

KDT

Thanks

Thanks for the report and pictures. I have never been over to Huntington Ravine. I've only seen pictures from a distance so I enjoyed seeing those shots. I'm sure they don't really do it justice though.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Default Justice

No, they really can't do it justice. The enormity of the ravine, the steepness of the slopes, the shear mass of the boulders... it just can't be captured on film, at least not by me. I gave it my best shot though. (What a bad pun).

KDT

Thanks

Nice shots. When you do a closeup of flowers do you do it in macro mode and if so how do keep it from blurring, tripod or just real steady hands?

Thanks

Default Flowers

I guess years of practice give me steady hands, as I don't use a tripod on most climbs. I use both hands and brace myself if I can, take a deep breath and shoot. In macro mode. I get as close as I can. Sometimes it takes a few tries. It's toughest when the wind blows.

KDT

Thanks

Does your camera have image stabilization?

Thanks

Default Image Stabilization

Yeah, but Nikon likes to call it "Vibration Reduction", and there is a setting for close up flowers, bugs, whatever... it works real nice.

KDT

Thanks

Thumbs up incredible pictures

Great shots of huntington Ravine!!!!!!!! Emma might be the only dog that has climbed Huntington on her own. This is good reason why she should be sponsored for seek the peak. I actually think this is the way I am climbing for seek the peak. I think my 14 year old will really enjoy it. K.D. your flower shots are some of the best I have seen. The alpine Garden looks just beautiful!! You brought up an interesting question in reference to trails. What is the steepest trail in the Whites?? I think I will have to start a thread in reference to this. Again incredible pictures. Would you sell any of your pictures if someone were to ask??

Thanks

Default 4 Sale

Any and all are for sale. There is an order form on the top of the left hand column in each section with instructions for ordering. I give 50% of all Mount Washington related pictures to the Observatory. I'd love to have some business, but my main joy is in just sharing the photos with people who may be incapable of getting out there, or just don't get out there as much as they'd like.

KDT

Thanks

What a wonderful set of pictures! The flowers were great and the views help folks understand how steep it really is.

Near the end there is a picture titled "View past Lion's Head to the Carters and Wildcats". Down in the valley there is a bright spot - kind of looks like reflection on water. That is the roof of HoJo's. The Tuckermans trail drops over the Headwall from the col between Mt Washington and Lakes of the Clouds and goes to HoJo's. Just after it a very short distance is the junction with Lions Head trail off to the left.

Route 16 and Pinkham is way down the valley.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012