Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hi

Thanks

Default hi

hey guys....i just found this seek the peak trip and am going to join....i have a few questions for those of you that have done this before....

there will be three of us....can we register as a group or is individual registration better?

does everyone take off at different times? it seems like people kind of hike at their own pace and with the people they want to....

is there a list of suggested gear to take and if not....can someone who has done the day hike make a few suggestions?....

anything else that anyone can tell me about this trip would be greatly appreciated....it sounds like a very cool couple of days....

Thanks

Hi Mary - there is quite a bit of information about what to take on a MW hike in the "White Mountains Hikes" section this forum.
    http://www.mountwashington.org/forum...isplay.php?f=8

Consider what you wear - what clothes to bring with you - what things to bring to be safe if the weather turns bad on you - what food and water to bring.

When we hike in the summer with family and friends they are always shocked the first time when they see a heavy pack loaded with "stuff". They see the winter gloves - scarves - knit hats going into the pack. There have been times we have not needed it. But, I have also been caught in freezing rain, sleet, snow on MW hikes in July and August. Be prepared and have fun.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

I think you need to register individually. The $100 minimum fundraising requirement applies to each person. It wouldn't be fair if I raised $100 to get into the after party and your group only needed to raise $33 per person to get into the party.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

no no no....lol the money isnt an issues at all....we will gladly pay the one hundred per person....ive been to the top of mt washington 2x but it has been a very long time....am i understanding correctly when i say that people pretty much hike on their own or at their own pace?....thanks for the info guys....have a great day....

Thanks

Default Stp

Yes, after you register, you can just go on along at your own pace. Take whichever route you like. You don't even have to go to the summit. There are people at the registration table that can suggest hikes on the mountain for all abilities. You can register the night before at Horsefeathers in North Conway if you wish, and then start whenever you feel like it.This way you can avoid some of the crowd in the morning.

This will be my 6th out of 7 STP's and there has been a map of Mount Washington and the trails in the goody bag every time.

This is a great cause and we really appreciate your joining us for this.

Afterward be sure to come to the cookout. It's a great time. Good food with people who share your interest in Mount Washington.

KDT

Thanks

Not sure if this works for you but here is my tentative gear list:

Backpack
    Trekking Shoes (I'm not into hauling boots up the mountain)
    80oz Camelbak
    Trekking poles (50/50 chance I'd bring these)

What I'll wear:

Socks/ underwear....of course
    Convertible Pants
    Synthetic t-shirt
    Synthetic baseball hat (keeps the sweat out of my eyes)

Clothes in the bag:
    Softshell pants (provides insulation and minimal rain protection)
    Softshell jacket (insulation and wind protection)
    Light rain jacket
    Synthetic long-sleeve shirt (probably mid-weight capilene or something with a little more wind protection)
    Light hat and gloves

If it looks like rain I'd probably add another layer to the bottom to keep me dry.

Miscellaneous:
    Very compact headlamp
    Sunglasses
    Mirror, whistle, lighter, small multi-purpose tool
    Very small first aid kit
    Camera
    Altimeter watch
    Map (I usually leave the guidebook in the car, but I know the area)

I'm sure I forgot something essential, but that's generally what I take into the mountains in the summer. Everybody has their own recipe though, so what works for me might not work for you.
    Last edited by Bill O; 06-29-2007 at 08:42 AM.
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

Default Pack for the Mountains

This is a good guide for packing for a White Mountain climb. Perhaps we should make this a sticky, as this question is asked alot.

KDT

Thanks

thanks guys....i cant wait for this ive always wanted to go back and climb the rock....my son is coming with me and is really getting psyched for it....he has some reservations as he has experience with trail walking/hiking rather than inclines....the list youve provided is a great help....im a nurse so i tend to go heavy on first aid supplies but i pretty much have it compacted into what is usually needed....if anything i wouldn't have brought so much clothing....ill have to think on that one and try not to overpack....lol....the last time i climbed mt washington we spent 2 weeks on the trails and different mountains so preparing for a day hike presents the challenge of not taking too much/going too heavy....

Thanks

It sounds like a lot of clothes but it really isn't. I'm going to be wearing some of it, and the rest gives me piece of mind that I could comfortably sit around on the mountain all night. Also, my gear is made for hiking/mountaineering. Its not like I'm lugging around cheap hunting or snowmobiling gear.

Don't discount the hat and gloves. They provide an incredible amount of warmth for their weight and can make a huge difference during an emergency.
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

how much $ was the top pledge that someone raised
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for