Thread: How Do You Stay At Lake Of The Clouds Hut?

Thanks

Default How Do You Stay At Lake Of The Clouds Hut?

its always a pit stop before i continue up wahington, i noticed it has plenty of bunks and not alot of people stay there that i seen both times ive been up. is the tickets i can buy or do i ask the people running the kitchen? thanks guys

Thanks

You need a reservation. Check this site for more information:

http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/index.cfm

In summer they are generally booked full well in advance. Early and late season tend to have more vacancies. I suppose if you walk in and they have vacancies they will let you stay, but I wouldn't count on it.

$87 a night too, more on Saturday night.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

websites perfect thanks

Thanks

We've stayed at Lake of the Clouds several times. It's a beautiful spot and you do need to make reservations. The bunk room is co-ed, very basic (no electricity, etc), of course--wonderful place to meet other hikers!
    "Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you."
    ---Frank Lloyd Wright
    Washington DC Tour Things to do in Washington DC Cheap DC Hotel Guide

Thanks

This is one of the most used huts (and highest capacity as well). Bill's right - almost always full on the weekend and much of the time during the week in July/August. Beautiful place to stay if you don't mind the crowd. Nothing like getting up early and being on top of the mountains watching the clouds in the valley below.

The cost of the huts is indeed getting high but with breakfast and dinner included (and in my experience always FANTASTIC) I think it's still a pretty good deal for those that want to do multi-day trips in the mountains without needing to carry tent, food, etc...
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

I have been told by the Croo that walk-ins are a little bit easier than normal this year because people are cancelling due to the bad weather. But as stated before, a RSVP is the only way to ensure a bed. If you don't reserve, get there early and don't assume you have a bed. Therefore be prepared to hike back down if you are trying the walk-in method.

Something else worth mentioning is we offer an overnight trip up here on the summit via our Edutrips. It is a great place to stay, and offers the same as the hut if not more (electricity, flushing toilets, etc) plus you get to hike and and explore the summit as well. It costs more but you get to share an experience only a handful get to take in since camping and overnights are not allowed on the summit itself. More info here: http://www.mountwashington.org/educa...mmer_edutrips/
    Last edited by Knapper; 07-19-2009 at 06:28 PM.
    Ryan Knapp
    Staff Meteorologist/Night Observer, KMWN (Mt Washington Obs., NH)