Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avice needed: where to stay

Thanks

Default Avice needed: where to stay

(sorry if it's a repost... didn't work the first time...)

My friend and I are going to Mt Washington on August 24-25, and have already booked our Friday night at the Clouds of the Lakes (we're planning to do the Ammo Trail).

Coming from Montreal, we are looking for a place to stay the night before (August 23), to be ready to hike on Friday morning, and where we could also stay on Saturday night .

The thing is, I'm getting confused after reading too much stuff on the internet! Where does the Ammo Trail start? I read that the loop Ammo-Jewell Trail is a good choice: would we come back at the same starting point?

I found the Highland Center Lodge & Shapley Bunk House, but I'm not even sure if it's close or not from the beginning of the Ammo Trail.
    We are looking for a cheap place (dorm style), where we could cook (if breakfast is not included). In short, we're looking for a place to stay near the beginning of the trail on Day 1 and Day 3. We would prefer to avoid camping, since we would arrive late on Thursday (august 23), but are open to the idea if there's nothing else.

I was also wondering where to park the car and what would be the parking fee.

Thanks for you help!

Thanks

Welcome to the forum. I'll try to answer your questions.

There is a place called Lyons Hospitality that I believe is a bunk house. I'm not sure how close it is to the Ammonoosuc Ravine trailhead though.

The AMC Highland center rates look to be around $80.00 a night.

The Ammonoosuc Ravine trailhead is located in the Ammonoosuc Ravine parking lot off of Base Road on the way to the Cog about .5 west of the Cog parking lot. If you drive to the COG parking lot you have gone too far! It's before the COG parking lot on the right.

In terms of trails, I would forget returning via the Jewell it adds extra mileage for no reason. I just did Mt. Monroe & Washington via the Ammo trail up & down.
    Last edited by kaseri; 07-08-2007 at 10:17 PM.

Thanks

Default Jewell Trail

The Jewell Trail is a good return trip, and it returns you to the same parking area as Ammonoosuc, but as Kaseri says, it adds mileage. In fact, you have to do some climbing on the way down, to get to the trail, if that makes sense. In other words, you go way down on the Gulfside Trail, then have to climb some to get to the Jewell. If you really want to do the loop you might consider climbing by Jewell, then descending Ammonoosuc. It's a little shorter and quicker getting down, especially if the weather turns.

The parking fee used to be $3, that may have changed, I always buy a season pass for $20.

The Highland Center is probably your best bet. You can get breakfasr there. Book now though, it may be full already. Look for stuff in Twin Mountain or Bretton Woods if you can't get a room at the Highland Center.

KDT

Thanks

Thumbs up Do the Jewell

The best place to stay on the Ammo side is the highland center. It is only around 10 minutes from the Ammo parking lot. It is a really nice place to stay the night before the climb up the rock pile. As Kevin says make reservations soon because they do fill up QUICK. As far as the Jewell goes I love the Jewell trail. The Ammo Jewell loop is one of the best in the Whites.
    The trail from the summit along the Gulfside trail that takes you to the Jewell is well worth the short climb you will have up to the trailhead. You will really enjoy the view down into the great gulf wilderness as you head to the Jewell.
    Again I highly recommend the Jewell Trail!!

Thanks

I must say I love the Highlands Center. It is like staying at a cozy cabin in the mountains...wait...it is a cozy cabin in the mountains! Anyway, they have a cafeteria, gift shop, some supplies, equipment rentals, a nice sitting area with a huge fireplace for relaxing and reading with nice views of the mountains out the windows. Not to mention the hikes you can be involved in that the AMC offers. It's a great place to stay. You can access the Crawford Path up to MT. Pierce and the Mizpah Springs hut right across the street as well.

Happy Trails!!
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Thanks everyone!!
    I checked and there's still places available at the Shapleigh Bunk House (Highland Center), and it looks like it's 35$, including breakfast.

I noticed that they can provide equipement too (hiking poles, rain coats and pants, for free!?!), but I'm wondering if we could borrow some even if we're not staying there on Day 2 (only Day 1 and 3)...

Could we leave the car at this place (i.e. take the Crawford Path to get to the Ammo trailhead) ?

Does anybody know a good site on the net where I could see the trails?

I really hope that the weather will be good....!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Manue79
    Could we leave the car at this place (i.e. take the Crawford Path to get to the Ammo trailhead) ?
    A $5 Presidential Range trail map would really clear up all the confusion. Plus, you can bring it with you on the trip.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

I'll buy one once we're there for sure! But I'd like to take a look at it before, too !

Thanks

Does anybody know a good site on the net where I could see the trails?
    I have Delorme's TopoUSA and here is an image for the west side of the range. I am not sure what you are intending based on your post.

Crawford Path cuts from the southern end of Mt Clinton road over to the east and joins the AT going up the summits to Washington.

The Ammo trail starts at Marshfield Station.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

I noticed that they can provide equipement too (hiking poles, rain coats and pants, for free!?!), but I'm wondering if we could borrow some even if we're not staying there on Day 2 (only Day 1 and 3)...
    Yes, they will let you use the equipment for free but they may require a deposit.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???