Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Avice needed: where to stay

Thanks

Thanks for your answers!

Another question!
    Do I have to bring a sleeping bag at Clouds of the Lakes? or just sheets?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Manue79
    Thanks for your answers!

Another question!
    Do I have to bring a sleeping bag at Clouds of the Lakes? or just sheets?
    You'll see many people who bring bags, I just bring sheets.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

You will need to drive to the Ammo Ravine trail. The Crawford Path will bring you to Lakes but by way of the ridge not the Ammo trail. The distance doing it via Crawford Path is much longer and much more exposed. If you are able to purchase a trail map before you get to the Whites it really would help answer your questions. As far as sleeping bag or sheets it really is your preference. I will say the reason that most of us carry a sleeping bag is in case of an emergency situation we will be much warmer with a bag rather than a sheet. Any time above tree an emergency can arise at any time. As stated MANY times in previous post ALWAYS be prepared.

Thanks

I'll arrive the day before anyway, so I,ll have time to buy a map onsite and take a good look at it I'm trying to be as much prepared as I can!! That's why I,m asking all these questions! eehehheheh!
    Speaking of "above tree emergency", how far is Lake of the Clouds once we're above the tree line?
    I'm really looking forward to doing that trip!!!

Thanks

Default Treeline to hut

From the last brook crossing on the flat ledges to the hut is .6 miles. At this brook crossing you break out onto the ledges and although there are still trees around most people consider this treeline. For $16.95 you can buy this book, it's going to answer 95% of your questions and help support the Observatory, too. It will help immeasurably, and you'll have it to plan future trips, too.

http://www.mountwashington.org/store...roducts_id=118

If you want just the map, you can get that here, too:

http://www.mountwashington.org/store...x&cPath=6_7_15

KDT

Thanks

Default Trail Guide

Is there much of a difference between the one in the link (7th edition Mt. Washington) and the 2007 Presidential Range Trail Guide in its twentysomething edition?

Would you recommend one over the other?

Thanks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Condor
    Is there much of a difference between the one in the link (7th edition Mt. Washington) and the 2007 Presidential Range Trail Guide in its twentysomething edition?

Would you recommend one over the other?

Thanks.
    I recommend getting the full White Mountains Guide, not the trimmed down Presidential Range Guide. Unless of course, you only plan on hiking in the Presi's. I also recommend getting the latest edition, in this case, the 28th edition of the White Mountain Guide.

If you're looking to save money, Amazon.com has the latest edition for $16.50.

If I'm going into an unknown area I will photo copy the relevant pages of the book and bring that along. No need to carry the whole book. I'll also bring the appropriate map.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Default Family hike with 4 kids - recommendations

We have four children and hike regularly in the Blue Hills. We'd like to try an overnight hike. Our youngest is 10 yrs old - would the Ammo/Jewel loop be too difficult?