Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 37

Thread: Just signed up w/ questions before possible hike

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,145
    Thanks
    541
    Thanked 121 Times in 73 Posts

    Default

    thats a good idea brad .
    i have nextel and it was out more then in service
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

    If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Thanks again for the replies...It looks like the weather is going to be a little iffy for the remainder of the week...I don't mind if its going to be cloudy or foggy, but I certainly would just go another day if I'm positive its going to rain. Perhaps as I keep looking at the weather, Saturday will be the good day.
    Dan

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Western/Central NY
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Age

    Quote Originally Posted by DanPBD
    What do you think about doing it alone? Like I said I'd be completely prepared, and really want to do it myself anyways. I'm 22, my parents are a little skeptical of me doing it by myself, yet I'd like to have my dad meet me at the top anyways.
    As far as I have noticed, age (to a reasonable extent) is not the most significant factor. I am 20 and have hiked up alone twice this summer. The main factor is preparedness. The key is to realize that weather can differ dramatically from the base to the summit, think of this when packing. Also, remember that there is no shame in turning back before reaching the summit if the weather is bad or it is getting late.
    While most of us sleep, an agile few create history in the night. -Robert Silverberg, Roma Eterna

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2,679
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 33 Times in 29 Posts

    Default

    I used to hike up and ski Tuck's by myself when I was 15. If you don't inlcude the 2,000 plus strangers in the ravine. Considering the army thinks you were old enough, 4 years ago, to kick down terrorist doors in Afghanistan. You can probably handle yourself on Mount Washington.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wahiawa, HI
    Posts
    2,359
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill O
    I used to hike up and ski Tuck's by myself when I was 15. If you don't inlcude the 2,000 plus strangers in the ravine. Considering the army thinks you were old enough, 4 years ago, to kick down terrorist doors in Afghanistan. You can probably handle yourself on Mount Washington.
    I don't know...those chipmunks can be very aggressive!
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    HAHA you guys are funny. It looks like Saturday might be a decent day after all. The Valley forecast says mostly sunny. I'll have to see how the summit forecast will be when it updates all day tomorrow. With all the showers around lately, the rivers should be flowing good!
    Dan

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    6,247
    Thanks
    112
    Thanked 398 Times in 250 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DanPBD
    HAHA you guys are funny. It looks like Saturday might be a decent day after all. The Valley forecast says mostly sunny. I'll have to see how the summit forecast will be when it updates all day tomorrow. With all the showers around lately, the rivers should be flowing good!
    Take your kayak for the downhill leg (paddle). In the winter folks take a small sled for the return home.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Where can I buy a good trail map locally, without going to Pinkham notch visitor center, because since I'm going to the lot before the marshfield station, obviously, I'm pretty much no wheres near the visitor center.
    Dan

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    6,247
    Thanks
    112
    Thanked 398 Times in 250 Posts

    Default

    I would check Eastern Mountain Sports in N Conway. Or order online.

    http://www.ems.com/locator/locator_s...34374302375003
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2,679
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 33 Times in 29 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DanPBD
    Where can I buy a good trail map locally, without going to Pinkham notch visitor center, because since I'm going to the lot before the marshfield station, obviously, I'm pretty much no wheres near the visitor center.
    What about the Highland Center in Crawford Notch? Do they sell anything there? Probably your best shot near Marshfield Base.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •