Thread: Traverse times

Thanks

Default Traverse times

I'm hoping to pick the brain of those who have done a traverse from north to south.

Our plan is to start at 6 am and ascend to the Madison hut via Valley Way. Quick stop into the hut for water & then off to summit Madison & back to the hut for a short break. Then we make our way to the summit of Adams & on to summit Jefferson & Washington. Once at Washington we will take another break & then down to LOTC for the evening.

About how long do you think this first day of the traverse would take time-wise? I know that our fitness level & weather will affect our speed. We're all strong hikers and have done a good amount of long distance hiking. I'm just wondering if it's reasonable to assume that we would be able to make it to LOTC by dinner since we are going to summit each peak.
    Last edited by kaseri; 07-18-2007 at 03:27 PM.

Thanks

No problem, Lakes easily by dinner if not for a late lunch. Assuming you guys move quick, and I have a feeling you can.

In 1999 I attempted the same traverse. Left the trailhead for Madison just before sunrise. May have been earlier than 6am, probably closer to 5 or 530. I barged in on breakfast to a confused group at Madison. Made a quick climb up Madison then banged out all the other peaks on the way to Washington.

I had a helper waiting on the summit of Washington for me in case I was injured or the weather was bad. In this case the forecast was horrible. Strong cold front was forecast to move in with dangerous thunderstorms. So we ended up driving down. This was around or just after noon.

My original plan was to hike all the way to Crawford Notch. The forecast ended up being a bust and there were never any storms. So I'm kind of kicking myself for not finishing the traverse. We planned this right around the solstice for maximum light.

Keep in mind this wasn't a stroll. I never really stopped. Maybe a few breaks for snacks or I just ate while hiking. I used a Camelbak for water.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Indeed Bill. I would like to keep our rest stops very short until we reach Washington. We will take one 15 min break at the hut after ascending Monroe & then off we go until Washington. Photo taking should also be limited to a minimum unless there is something outstanding. Maybe a short 1 min break to snap a couple of pics & then off we go. Since I have never climbed Jefferson I'll pause for a quick photo there and move along.

Thanks

Smile leave early get breakfast

The good thing about leaving Appalachia parking lot early is if you make it up to the hut right after they are done with breakfast you have a shot at the left overs. I have taken advantage of this many times. As far as time you will have no problem as Bill said making it across. You should be into L.O.C. right around mid afternoon. I feel this is the best way to do the traverse.
    Splitting it in half really lets you enjoy the traverse so much more. Have a great time and take time to enjoy the incredible views!!!

Thanks

We did that same hike/route about 4 years ago and we were to the hut mid-afternoon. We even stopped for a light lunch in the cafeteria at the MWO.

Thanks

I figured we would reach LOTC between 2 & 4 in the afternoon. I'm hoping to make good time so I can stop in the MWO & chat with some of my friends there. I'd also like to see if I'll be able to get a tour of the facility for my traverse partners. I doubt they have seen the MWO from behind the scenes. Standing on top of the tower is an amazing feeling!

Thanks

I enjoy standing on the obs tower. Mind if I join this moderate traverse?!

Thanks

Magic... I sent you an email regarding this Traverse.