Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed: Good boots

Thanks

Default Advice needed: Good boots

I've read the threads on high end boots but I'm looking for good summertime boots for day hikes and possibly short traverses. I would say somewhere in the $100-$200 price range. There are lots to choose from, any suggestions?
    Last edited by Steve M; 07-18-2007 at 09:55 PM.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

water proof ,steal shank and if you have weak ankles a little higher boot

and they must look cool to
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Thanks

Hey Steve...

Try them all and go with what fits you the best. All brands fit differently, some run wide etc..

I happen to be a fan of Merrell for all my hikers...low ankle and high ankle day hikers as well as my leathers. I would suggest a high ankle for needed support. Leather for wet trails and cooler weather.

Once you find something that fits locally, try buying online for better savings. I use upfootgear.com (they have Merrell's)

What do you have planned for your upcoming trip to the whites? I can make a few suggestions if need be. We had an awesome 3 weeks up there.
    ~Rich

Thanks

Summer?
    Day-hike?

Are you sure you want boots? Unless its winter I don't wear boots anymore. Not just for dayhikes or short traverses, I never wear boots.

My current hiking shoes are the Montrail Storm GTX, an older version that comes just above my ankle, but they certainly aren't boots. I've been on hundred mile treks with them, carried 50 pound packs, Colorado 14'ers, Knife Edge on Katahdin.

I suppose there is slightly more risk of ankle sprains, but unless you are wearing ski boots you really aren't totally protected.

The only thing stopping me from wearing running shoes up Mount Washington is because they would get shredded on the boulders.

There seems to be a misconception that you have to wear boots when you hike. After all, they are hiking boots. Out west they used to put metal grates in the road to stop cattle, now they just paint white lines on the road. Sometimes change is good.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by detour to the whites
    Hey Steve...

Try them all and go with what fits you the best. All brands fit differently, some run wide etc..

I happen to be a fan of Merrell for all my hikers...low ankle and high ankle day hikers as well as my leathers. I would suggest a high ankle for needed support. Leather for wet trails and cooler weather.

Once you find something that fits locally, try buying online for better savings. I use upfootgear.com (they have Merrell's)

What do you have planned for your upcoming trip to the whites? I can make a few suggestions if need be. We had an awesome 3 weeks up there.
    I'm glad you had a great time up there. We are planning to hike Mt Washington via the Ammo trail. My daughter and I may attempt the Caps ridge trail and maybe to mix things up we will take the Old Bridle path and summit Mt Lafayette. We will see how the weather is while we are there. Those are the majors we are considering anyway. Feel free to give any suggestions.

I have a pair of Coleman and Brahma boots. The Coleman I use all the time when I hike and they are fine but not waterproof...they are supposed to be but not. The Brahmas I won't wear for any distance hiking because my feet will pay the price. I want a well made boot that's waterproof and will keep my feet feeling good as long as possible.
    Steve

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hawk
    water proof ,steal shank and if you have weak ankles a little higher boot

and they must look cool to
    Thanks, hawk, that was helpful!
    Steve

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill O
    Summer?
    Day-hike?

Are you sure you want boots? Unless its winter I don't wear boots anymore. Not just for dayhikes or short traverses, I never wear boots.

My current hiking shoes are the Montrail Storm GTX, an older version that comes just above my ankle, but they certainly aren't boots. I've been on hundred mile treks with them, carried 50 pound packs, Colorado 14'ers, Knife Edge on Katahdin.

I suppose there is slightly more risk of ankle sprains, but unless you are wearing ski boots you really aren't totally protected.

The only thing stopping me from wearing running shoes up Mount Washington is because they would get shredded on the boulders.

There seems to be a misconception that you have to wear boots when you hike. After all, they are hiking boots. Out west they used to put metal grates in the road to stop cattle, now they just paint white lines on the road. Sometimes change is good.
    Thanks Bill, I have often looked at hiking sneakers or shoes or whatever they are called but wasn't sure if they would be appropriate for anything more than a stroll in the woods. I'm glad to hear someone uses them for more than just trail running.
    Steve

Thanks

I've been using the Asolo Fugitive GTX's this year and I love them. Not too heavy, Gore-tex lined, and a very sticky sole. If I had to buy them again I would. I've seen them priced from $149-$179.

Thanks

Talking leather converse sneakers

Let me just say when I thru hiked the A.T. (many years ago) my hiking boots blew out in Gorham. I bought a pair of leather Converse sneakers and hiked
    all the way to Kathadin in them. Only problem no ankle support!!!!!!!!!!! Half way between Abol Bridge and Daicey Pond I DESTROYED my ankle and couldn't climb the big "K". Low shoes are great but they don't give alot of ankle support. Boots really are subjective to each indivual hiker. Find what is comfortable for You and go for it! I still am in low trail running shoes for everything but I realize my ankles are vulnerable. The best trail running / hiking shoe out there right now is the montrail. Eveyone I talk to who has them swears by them. You might want to try a pair on.

Thanks

My advice is to find the lightest shoes you can handle. Assuming it has all the features you want. A pound on your feet is worth many times that on your back.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight