Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Weather

Thanks

Default Weather

The current weather forecast for the weekend is lousy. Any ideas or thoughts on climbing or calling it off. Obviously the weather can change before we get there but I was just curious about better trail options in poor weather. If there forecast still calls for t-storms then we obviously have a bigger problem
    Brian
    Smithtown, NY

Thanks

Default mountains make their own weather

In looking at the weather reports for the 28th looks like it could be a bit wet. I have climbed Washington where it was horrible storms in the valley that you could see but it never made its way to the rock pile. You never really know what weather you are going to get. Lets hope that the mountain will decide to throw us a nice day. Wet and cold temps would not make for a real fun day. With my recent knee surgery, coming down the rock pile in rain would be a REAL challange. No matter what the weather I will be there to support the observatory and give my support to a great cause. Lets hope for great weather!!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rockin rex
    In looking at the weather reports for the 28th looks like it could be a bit wet. I have climbed Washington where it was horrible storms in the valley that you could see but it never made its way to the rock pile. You never really know what weather you are going to get. Lets hope that the mountain will decide to throw us a nice day. Wet and cold temps would not make for a real fun day. With my recent knee surgery, coming down the rock pile in rain would be a REAL challange. No matter what the weather I will be there to support the observatory and give my support to a great cause. Lets hope for great weather!!!!
    We may have a HoJo's party instead of at the summit.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Smile There is an idea

Hey if the weather is that bad that would actually be a GREAT idea!! Well I think we now have a back up plan.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rockin rex
    Hey if the weather is that bad that would actually be a GREAT idea!! Well I think we now have a back up plan.
    How many people can fit in the little warming room on the left of the building?
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

30% chance of precip is wet? That's pretty much the standard forecast for a summer day in NH.

I wouldn't change anything on that forecast, especially since its still 5 days out.

The best forecast you can have a week out is rain. That way, when its wrong - and five day forecasts usually are, its going to be clear.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

the forecast is different depending on where you look the MWO site says it doesn't look bad, the weather channel site says scattered t storms. Who knows. I with I could be a weather man and only have to be right 30% of the time.
    Brian
    Smithtown, NY

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Donotgogentle
    the forecast is different depending on where you look the MWO site says it doesn't look bad, the weather channel site says scattered t storms. Who knows. I with I could be a weather man and only have to be right 30% of the time.
    Where on the MWO site did you see a forecast for this weekend? MWO puts out a 36 hour outlook. They're not dreamers.

Unless you are looking for the two week dreamcast there is no reason to ever use weather.COM (aka The Weather Channel). Real people aren't making forecasts on that site. Its all done by computer.

On the other hand real people make forecasts several times a day at weather.GOV The National Weather Service. No ads, and no dream-casts.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Default STP in the rain

In 2002 we did STP in thick fog and it rained most of the day. I think most of the participants still went to the summit. Emma and I did. Hey, it is billed as the world's worst weather, isn't it? It was that day. I'm with Rex and Bill. It could be pouring in the valley and not raining at all on MW. Maybe we will get an undercast. I can say from personal experience that is something worth hiking in the rain for. Anyway, as Bill says, it's still a little far out to know what the weather is going to be that day.

We live about 120 miles south of MW. When we make plans to hike anywhere in the Whites, we just go. It might be raining in Franconia Notch, and not in Pinkham. In fact, it might be raining in Bretton Woods and the sun shining in Pinkham, or vice-versa. The general weather reports are not really for the mountains. That's where the Obs comes in and why they're so important. Their Higher summits forecasts are specifically for the mountains. The only way to be really sure is to be there, where you're going to hike.

Example: I climbed Huntington Ravine a few weeks back. The forecast was for crappy conditions. I checked with the Obs and Ryan told me their forecast for the next day. They were not expecting any rain until later that day. OK, I'm going. I called my buddy. We had just about decided to not go because of the forecast, but I talked him into going. Next morning the weather was miserable where we were. I checked the higher summits forecast, stiil, no rain until mid afternoon. The radar showed showers all over the mountains. My buddy arrived at my house and we discussed what to do. We pretty much decided not to go to Washington. Instead of going the most direct route, we got on Rte 93 and headed north for a different destination. When we got into the mountains it was like, "Hey, this isn't so bad." We headed further north through Franconia Notch. The weather was better. "That's it, we're going". We drove all the way over to Pinkham. The sun was out. We started climbing, it was hot and steamy, where it had been cold and rainy to the south and west. We did get a little rain, about a ten minute shower when we reached the Alpine Garden, but nothing too outrageous. If we had gone by the TV forecast, we never would have gone. If we relied on just the Obs forecast and the radar we still might not have gone. We went and we saw firsthand what the weather was and decided to go for it. We would have missed a great hike otherwise. To me, this is the only way. You can always turn around if you are uncomfortable in the conditions.

KDT
    Last edited by KD Talbot; 07-23-2007 at 09:07 PM.

Thanks

I'll climb in just about any weather. I've only turned back twice. Once on Lion Head when the fog was so thick I couldn't see more than 3 feet in front of me & once 4 tenths of a mile from the summit of Jefferson when thunderstorms came through. Other than that I'm hiking on!

See you all on the summit!