Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: August 2nd -First Traverse-Any Help?

Thanks

Default August 2nd -First Traverse-Any Help?

Background: 6 members in our group- 2 in their 50's; 4 in their late 20's. All in decent physical shape, none with extensive "High Mountain Hiking" experience. We have hiked the "touristy" places in the White Mountains & Cannon Mnt. from the Tram parking lot once. We will be leaving from the Highland Center staying in the Lakes Hut the first night, and Madison Hut the 2nd night then to Pinkham notch to the 2nd car.

Our reservations are in for the Highland center and the Huts so the South to North route is fixed. However, the final destination (Pinkham notch) is flexible if any one has a better idea.

I am looking for a Presi Trav. for Dummies version. I don't believe the strenuous hike will be our concern. It is the weather & being adequately prepared that I am worried about. Any insight or ideas as to what to pack, what to expect on the trail and at the hut, or any must see/do things. Thanks for sharing all your experience.

Thanks

I'm sure there is plenty of advice to come.

For now, don't overload yourself. I see many people do hut to hut with full size expedition packs filled. You have the luxury of shelter and bedding so your gear should be minimal.

Adequate foul weather gear is a must. Comfortable hiking clothing. And maybe a few luxury items to change into at the huts. For me that's usually a clean pair of socks, a dry shirt, and sandals.

A warm hat and light gloves or mittens are a must. These will be your best friends if the weather is cold and wet.

When I stay at the huts I just bring a set of old sheets (including pillow case) and use the blankets they provide. I'm sure others have a different opinion though.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Smile The traverse the light way

Doing the Traverse hut to hut is the way to go if your looking to really enjoy yourself and go light weight. As Bill stated the only thing you really need to carry is clothes, water and some snacks. Going light also allows you to grab the peaks on the way across. The main trail takes you around the summits with the summits being reached by side trails. Lots of folks if they are tired skip the side trails to the summits and miss the best parts of the traverse. The other important thing is to make sure you have clean dry clothes for the hut. Being in the hut in wet clothes is not alot of fun. Being in warm dry clothes will make your experience much more enjoyable. Now the question of the forum? Do you bring sheets or sleeping bag to the huts. I would say sheets are the way to go but I carry a sleeping bag for safety reasons. If I am above tree and I have an emergency and have to spend the night I would prefer to have a sleeping bag. With a group you might want to bring just a couple of bags between your group just in case. Enjoy the traverse and let us know how it goes.

Thanks

How were you going to get from Madison back to Pinkham? Hike down to the road and hitch or hike all the way back?
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Question Looks like a second car parked at Pinkham?

Looks like a second car will be parked at Pinkham from what they said. I would guess they would summit Madison then take Osgood/ A.T. back to pinkham. A neat variation for them would be to take the buttress down into the great gulf and head out that way. Just 2 different ways back to Pinkham.

Thanks

Yes, that is correct. We intend to park one car at the Highland Center and the other at Pinkham Notch. However, I read in another thread that Pinkham notch is a long hike after the traverse and to park at Appalachia instead. Do you have any thoughts on that suggestion?

Thank you for the trail recomendation. That is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for.

As far as the Huts are concerned...What kind of conditions should we expect? I assume that there is a place to fill-up on water, but how about washing up after a long day? Others have recomended ear plugs. Any other recomendations or "heads-up" would be appreciated.

Thanks

Typically one would "spot" cars along the route. At least two cars would be required. One at Crawford Notch & one at the Appalachia trailhead. If possible spot a 3rd card at Pinkham. The huts are all unique and each one will be a different experience. You'll be able to fill your water at any of the full service huts. No showers & I don't believe they allow any type of "sponge baths". As for ear plugs.... I've never needed them nor do I know anyone who has used them in the huts.

Thanks

I also wanted to add, we are carrying 35lt packs with the following supplies:

Fleece jacket
    Hat
    convertable synthetic pants
    2 synthetic shirts
    Wind and rain gear (jacket and pants)
    2 pair of wool/synthetic socks (They also double as mittens)
    Sturdy boots
    2 pair Polypropylene underwear
    & a Warm dry change for the Huts.
    GPS.
    First-aid kit.
    Waterproof matches.
    Whistle.
    Knife.
    Guidebook, trail map, and compass.
    High-energy snacks.
    1 lt. water.
    Flashlight
    Sunscreen.
    Insect repellent.
    Plastic trash bags
    fleece sleeping bag liner.

We are trying to keep the packs under 20lbs. Anything un-nessesary, or that I am forgeting?

Thanks

A CAMERA lol

and some lightweight gloves, I know have the socks as backups but if one pair is wet and the other pair on your feet then....

I would also add another shirt. One will get wet on day one, one wet on day two, day three? I find that my shirts, unless I leave them out in the sun won't dry overnight in the hut.

Also, an almost gone roll of TP, just in case.
    Last edited by billysinc; 07-25-2007 at 01:11 PM.

Thanks

Thumbs up list looks perfect

List looks great! One thing to cut weight. Photo copy the section of the guidebook you will be using and then leave the heavy guidebook at home. Put the photocopy and the map in a ziploc and your set. Question about the hut? If you are bothered by loud snoring or slamming doors bring ear plugs.
    If you sleep heavy and nothing bothers you, you will not need them. Out of 40 people in the bunk room one or two will snore. I have always washed up in the bathrooms and never had a problem. It just needs to be quick since many people use the bathrooms. Now parking at Pinkham or Appalachia. It is preference. Some head to Appalachia some to Pinkham. I feel a nice way to finish the traverse is to summit Madison then take the Buttress into the great gulf go for a swim and then head out to pinkham. Many people would not agree with me and would head to Appalachia. It is only my preferece.
    You folks look to be WELL PREPARED and should have an incredible time. ENJOY!!