Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: August 2nd -First Traverse-Any Help?

Thanks

I agree with Rex, just copy the section of the book that you need.

Are you bringing any long underwear? I'd probably bring a thin set, maybe you can toss something else out then. Again, I'd probably bring actual mittens or gloves. Something very thin and light. Its not like it is going to be -15F. More likely to be in the low 40's, worst case.

You know how much water you drink, but for me 1 liter would not be enough for the day. If you're planning on filling up along the way then you are okay. But you'll have to be the judge of that.

Edit: If you want to see the rest of the guide book somebody will either have a copy at the hut or the hut might have a reference copy.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Thanks for the imput. Our plan was to continue on the AT and take it all the way down to Pinkham. However, I am open to alternate "better" routes. If we summit Madison then pick-up the Buttress trail, It seems that the trail backtracts a bit before merging with the six husbands/wamssuta trail then pick-up the huntington ravine trail to Pinkham, Is that how you would go down? We wanted to visit Nelson crag at some point. I thought of doing it as a side trip from the lakes hut (with out all the gear), but it looks like if I took the above route we could hit it on the way out. We all said "Yeah, go for a swim" so we def. want to include that in the last day. Your recomendations?

Thanks

Huntington Ravine really isn't a trail you should try and descend with full packs. I've gone up it twice, but down........

Thanks

Lakes over to Nelsons Crag is a nice walk if you skirt the summit and take the Alpine Garden over to it. The alpine garden Trail is really nice. Just be sure to be prepared because the weather above tree can change at any second. Don't let a slack pack make you complacent. As far as the ending of your hike, to take the Buttress Trail you would have to backtrack from the summit a bit back towards the hut to catch the trail. If the Buttress Trail is of interest to your group the other option is to do Madison the day before with no packs (You might even be able to catch the sunset) In the morning instead of climbing you would just head down the buttress from the hut. The Buttress runs you into the great Gulf trail which runs you back into the A.T. Being able to do the traverse and include the great gulf really makes an awesome trip!! As you cann see there are quite a few options to the end of the traverse.

Thanks

Default Descending Huntington

You would have to climb two thirds of the way back up Washington from the Great Gulf to get to Huntington Ravine Trail, and having been there, and also by the advice of the guide book which warns against it, I would not descend by this route. what you have highlighted on your map is probably your best route, though you may consider what others have said about spotting another car at Appalachia, in case you want to bail out. It is a long hike back to Pinkham from Madison after a traverse.

KDT
    Last edited by KD Talbot; 07-26-2007 at 03:29 PM.

Thanks

Default Weather

I just found out that we might be a little rushed on the last leg of our trip. Could you give me a rough estimate of the time it will take to come down the Buttress Trail way? We need to be at Pinkham by 1:00pm. Do we need to skip breakfast at the Hut.

The base forcast looks good for this weekend. 30% chance of rain on Friday. Any last minute advise?

Thanks for all the helpful info.