Thread: Best trail for bad kness hiking to MW Peak?

Thanks

Question Best trail for bad kness hiking to MW Peak?

We'll be hiking up Mt. Washington this Friday. Any suggestions on which trail is easiest on the knees? Our initial plan is Tuckerman's Ravine. We're coming in from Rt. 16.

Any suggestions on any aspect of climbing the mountain would be appreciated since this is our first attempt.

Mary Ann

Thanks

Honestly, I don't think it matters. One trail may be less steep but longer, others may be steeper but shorter.

Trekking poles might be your biggest help, which you probably know.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Default knees?

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Ann Cascarino
    We'll be hiking up Mt. Washington this Friday. Any suggestions on which trail is easiest on the knees? Our initial plan is Tuckerman's Ravine. We're coming in from Rt. 16.

Any suggestions on any aspect of climbing the mountain would be appreciated since this is our first attempt.

Mary Ann
    Seeing that I had major knee reconstructive surgery April 5th and will be climbing on Sat. I know how hiking with bad knees can be. I would suggest that you take boot spur up seeing it doesn't have as many rocks to climb up and over. Seeing this is your first climb this is also a good trail for first accents as it is not as rough as the others. Going up really should not be a problem for the knees. The problem comes going down. If you are planning on decending then do as Bill suggest and use poles. Going down can be extremely rough on the knees. If you are looking to summit but not hike down there is a hiker shuttle that goes from the summit to Pinkham. It cost quite a bit but it saves the knees. You can inquire at Pinkham if you are interested in the summit shuttle. If my knee doesn't hold up Sat. I will be on that shuttle myself.

Thanks

Default knees

I have never had knee trouble, but after coming down the Jewell Trail last week my right knee was uncomfortably sore. I typically dislike trekking poles, but they would have been a welcome addition for the trip down the mountain.

Thanks

I have to agree that I've never loved trekking poles, but have gotten used to keeping ONE with me - (never two). I always like having one hand free. I've gotten quite used to using one trekking pole. It DOES save some of the jarring of the knees on the descent. Only about 8 out of the 38 years of hiking have I used the trekking pole, but I've gotten used to having it around now and always have it at least strapped to the pack. If your knees are not the best, then Bill is right - a trekking pole might be your best buddy.

Thanks

Poles can definately be helpful but take a little getting used to as well. Ascent with poles saves the legs as well since you pull with your arms to help get up the mountain. So all around they can help but in some areas they aren't much use or help. You will see if you use them. Goodluck on your trip. I look forward to reading the report.

LLoyd

begin.lloydsjourney.com

Thanks

Default Good advice

I agree with all the advice so far. It is tougher coming down, a pole can help.

KDT