Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overnight Hike

Thanks

Default Overnight Hike

Hey there. I have done alot of research online on trails and places to stay overnight, and i need some help from you guys.

me and 1-2 people are planning on doing an over night hike on Washington in the beginning of September. i dont want to stay in an AMC hut because i am rebelling against them, so i need to know a good place to set up camp. and a trail that anyone would recomend.

oh, and weather i should be expecting in september.

thanks alot.

Thanks

Thumbs up Best place to stay!!

Just got home from an overnight at Crag Camp and I can honestly say IT IS THE BEST PLACE TO STAY!!!!!!!!!! My son and I had a trip of a life time. If you want a great place to stay head to Crag camp. It is $12.00 a person but well worth it. The view from the deck is killer. The only down side is there is no easy way to get to it. I now feel Spur trail might be as steep as Huntington Ravine. You want a challange? I can guarantee you that the hike up the Spur to Crag will challange you. The good thing is Crag camp, which makes it all worth while!!

Thanks

yeah that looks like a sweet place. no outdoor places though? i know about the national forrest rules. thanks for the help!

Thanks

Default Crag Camp

Don't let an indoor place throw you. Once you stay at Crag you will be hooked. You have to stay there to really understand how awesome it is.
    Tent sites in the whites are hard to come by unless you stealth. Be careful though because they do ticket. I received one.

Thanks

What about somewhere in the Great Gulf? It's a wilderness area and there are some designated tent sites.

Have you considered the Hermit Lake Shelters? They're cheap, and they're not huts.

Anybody ever been into the Dry River area and Oakes Gulf?
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Default Dry river

Never been in dry river but met a lady on Sat. who was tenting heading from great gulf to Dry river. What are the regulations for Dry River. I know there are shelters. What is the nearest shelter or tenting area to Washington??
    Oaks area is a new one to me. Shelter/ tenting area nearest to Washington from Oaks?? There are areas to tent but you have to know where they are.
    Most are a ways off the ridge and take a hike to get to.

Thanks

I always enjoy staying at The Perch. It's legal, cheap, and close enough to all the northern Presi's

I've been eying up staying at Crag Camp, thanks Rex for the quick review.

Thanks

Hi!

Camping Regs can be found here:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/whit...es_2006-07.pdf

Note that there are special requirements for different Wilderness Areas.

Regarding established campsites in Dry River wilderness, DISCLAIMER - this information is coming from other web sites and forum discussions, not personal experience... I understand that there are established campsites somewhere around the intersections of the Isolation Trail and the Davis Path. I think this puts you probably 3.5 - 4 miles from the summit of Mt Washington (estimate based on just a quick look at the map).

I haven't seen the campsites myself, but they are referenced on these sites:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~ellozy/mount-isolation.html
    http://www.mountainsummits.com/pphik...tionpphike.htm

Hope this helps,
    Valerie

Thanks

Crag is an old time favorite, even though it was remodeled years ago. Gray Knob is certainly more conveinent, but Crag is more impressive. Its a great launch for Adams and Madison. RMC staff are nice and make you feel at home.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rockin rex
    Don't let an indoor place throw you. Once you stay at Crag you will be hooked. You have to stay there to really understand how awesome it is.
    Tent sites in the whites are hard to come by unless you stealth. Be careful though because they do ticket. I received one.

i know its hard to find a place outdoors, so maybe i will have to stay at a indoor place. thanks though.