Thread: Union Leader Article

Thanks

Default Union Leader Article

Here's an article that appeared in Saturday's Manchester Union Leader. They misquoted me once, but it's a pretty good article. I wish it had come out well before the event instead of the day of. It may have drawn in more people.

The misquote was: "Thousands of people attempt to climb that mountain every year and don't make it," it should have read "and they don't all make it." But you get the gist.

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=They're+climbing+Mount+Washi ngton+for+a+cause&articleId=efbf0447-b80a-40b4-b293-f7b61ee592ba

KDT

Edit: For some reason the link won't work, maybe they have it blocked. You'll have to copy and paste.

[Admin edit: just have to use the URL tag. It works now.]
    Last edited by Mike D; 08-01-2007 at 05:57 PM.

Thanks

very nice read....i agree that there is a need to get the word out there about the fundraiser....i just happened to stumble across it looking up various hiking trails in conn....i work with many people who backpack and hike and they never heard of this event....many expressed great interest in it....word of mouth is a great thing but nothing really beats public exposure....

Thanks

We had the event wrap-up meeting today and discussed how to make the event bigger and better than this year. The bar is set pretty high, but we'll be working hard to secure additional sponsorship over the next several months, as well as a couple more significant prizes.

All of your comments from the other STP thread were discussed as well. Please keep them coming and do participate in the online survey when we announce it.

We agreed that the single biggest impact would be if all of you introduce others to the event. If a small portion of the 180 hikers that participated brought one or two more people next year, we'll easily hit the 250 mark and approach $100k in fundraising.

We have our eyes set on a vacation travel package as at least one additional grand prize-- if anyone has an inside track to obtaining air/hotel to an appropriate destination (Canadian Rockies, Sierras, Utah/Colorado, etc.), shoot me a private message and we'll pursue it.

Thanks again for such a great event!

Scot
    MWO Staff

Thanks

Its a good article KDT,great way to bring recognition to STP and the value of what is done. Congrats!

Thanks

again....i think the way to get the word out there is by advertising....heres a few thooughts and i dont know if everyone would be open to these but:

why not open the boards of this forum a little more?....ive been reading here daily since i joined....but had i not stumbled on the seek the peak page i wouldnt have thought to search out a specific forum and truth be told i really dont have much to add here....my hiking experience compared to some others here is limited at best....still i come to read and learn....other boards i go to have more threads that would maybe be of interest to different people....they have a tech section and a general section....couldnt this board be mainly for the observatory but also have other areas of interest....maybe trails and hikes different states?....current events?....i think it would maybe increase traffic and interest....im a member of a few nursing forums and it works there....people then get to know each other and sooner or later would probably use the seek the peak event as a way of hiking and meeting people they have come to know in this medium....the prizes were certainly a nice extra....but i personally would have raised money just for the opportunity to have had the chance to hike again and combine that with the act of doing something good....

is there geo-caching allowed on mt washington?....that is a huge hobby and it is international....maybe there could be a geo-cahcing forum....i think that would really increase traffice....below is a link to the main geo-caching page for people who might not be familiar....its a great way to combine gps....hiking....and friendly competition between people....

http://www.geocaching.com/

local colleges?....maybe some kind of leaflet could be mailed a few months before the event....id be willing to mail to colleges in my area if someone is able to make some kind of template that could be printed....

i have been talking about this since i got home and know of 4 people who are considering joining next year....like i said for me it was a wonderful experience and meant so much to do it with my son and his girlfriend....but other than that the event was pretty much personal for me....and people would tire very quickly if i posted every day on what i gained from the experience....i am more than willing to help on this end with anything anyone thinks would be helpful....