Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Observor Comments

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kaseri
    Not yet but I hope to this year. Rumor has it there is a "street" that goes to the summit of a mountain in the presidential range. The road is about 7 miles long. That might make for a nice sled ride.
    Or a nice death ride!

Quote Originally Posted by KDTalbot
    Have you been into Tucks with that yet?
    I can see the reports, "Man on a sled reaches bottom of Tucks and is not found until spring"
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WSR88D
    I can see the reports, "Man on a sled reaches bottom of Tucks and is not found until spring"
    Or the report is "Man on sled reaches bottom of Tucks - sled still going and going and going."
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Default Cool!

I always wanted to take that ride. A little faster than the Cog. I think there are several names on the wall of people who attempted that ride on something they called the Devil's Slideboard, or something to that effect. A couple of guys not so many years ago stole some from the museum and took them for a ride down the tracks. Their names are on the wall. It's all fun until someone gets killed.

KDT

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KD Talbot
    I always wanted to take that ride. A little faster than the Cog. I think there are several names on the wall of people who attempted that ride on something they called the Devil's Slideboard, or something to that effect. A couple of guys not so many years ago stole some from the museum and took them for a ride down the tracks. Their names are on the wall. It's all fun until someone gets killed.

KDT
    Their death shows there lack of understanding of their undertaking...which lead to a phone call to the undertaker!
    Steve

Thanks

The Hammerhead is very controllable. I have no doubt that one would be able to safely sled down the auto road or tucks (within reason).

Thanks

I have done the full eight miles of the auto road just once on a sled. It was an orange tobaggon type and I couldn't walk for a few days due to the ruts shacking me to death. I attempted it another time but had the sled disintegrate before reaching the bottom. We also have a Swiss sled that has a steering wheel that works great. Down side: employees are only allowed to sled down on Wednesdays now. Volunteers or our friends/guests are no longer allowed to go with or without us. This is due to safety concerns which is totally understandable since the road still takes passengers up to half way in the winter and it is sometimes rough to see someone sledding down the mountain from a jacked up van or snow kat.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Knapper
    I have done the full eight miles of the auto road just once on a sled. It was an orange tobaggon type and I couldn't walk for a few days due to the ruts shacking me to death. I attempted it another time but had the sled disintegrate before reaching the bottom. We also have a Swiss sled that has a steering wheel that works great. Down side: employees are only allowed to sled down on Wednesdays now. Volunteers or our friends/guests are no longer allowed to go with or without us. This is due to safety concerns which is totally understandable since the road still takes passengers up to half way in the winter and it is sometimes rough to see someone sledding down the mountain from a jacked up van or snow kat.
    WOW, a seven mile sled ride. Beats the heck out of anything I did as a kid!
    Steve

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WSR88D
    WOW, a seven mile sled ride. Beats the heck out of anything I did as a kid!
    I am sure sledding in FL is somewhat limited.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Thats ok, I like Thursdays better anyway....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Knapper
    I have done the full eight miles of the auto road just once on a sled. It was an orange tobaggon type and I couldn't walk for a few days due to the ruts shacking me to death.
    Same story on my end too. Did the full eight miles once, essentially non-stop. It was on a kids sled that had steering and brakes and built for somebody about half my size.

I also could not walk for more than a couple of days after that. It rattled everything in my body and it felt like my tail bone got chipped.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight