Thread: Errors made on Mount Washington?

Hybrid View

Thanks

Exclamation Errors made on Mount Washington?

With the rescue this past week maybe if people can list the errors they have made in the past climbing Mount Washington it might save a few lives. I helped with the rescue in 86 off Mount Madison when the father lost his life and lost lives on Mount Washington continue to haunt me!! Maybe we can bring alittle light to people in this thread so they don't make the same errors others have. Mount Washington is not a mountain to take lightly!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Growing up around here, I swear it seemed people died on the Mount every winter. I'm still scarred by it; I won't even attempt a hike in snow.

Thanks

Several years ago I made a June hike up Mt Wash. It is a long an interesting story, but I'll give you the main bullet points. My errors were:

1) Thinking I could reach the summit before the forecast thunderstorm.
    2) Failing to determine if my planned route (Tucks Trail) was open.
    3) Failing to evaluate contingency routes (Huntington Trail) before taking them.

If the weather is bad, postpone your hike for a sunny day. There can be avalanche closures right into summertime. Read your guidebook, it's no good just sitting in your pack.