Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: First time climbing Mt. Washington

Thanks

Water at the huts is free and plentiful

Thanks

Default Stp 2008

STP 2008 is on July 26th next year. You should really consider arranging your trip to coincide with this event. People come from as far away as Florida and Colorado, very few of us live in the Whites. Maybe you could catch a ride up with Brad when he comes up from North Carolina.

Ditch the sleeping bag and the 0 degree gear. Have some warm layers and good wind/rainproof gear.

When you get to Lakes of the Clouds, turn around and chuck your GPS (and cell phone, too, if you've got that with you) back down into Ammonoosuc Ravine, then follow the cairns to the summit. It's worked for hundreds of years. The only high tech gadget you need on MW is your camera.

KDT

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KD Talbot
    STP 2008 is on July 26th next year. You should really consider arranging your trip to coincide with this event. People come from as far away as Florida and Colorado, very few of us live in the Whites. Maybe you could catch a ride up with Brad when he comes up from North Carolina.

Ditch the sleeping bag and the 0 degree gear. Have some warm layers and good wind/rainproof gear.

When you get to Lakes of the Clouds, turn around and chuck your GPS (and cell phone, too, if you've got that with you) back down into Ammonoosuc Ravine, then follow the cairns to the summit. It's worked for hundreds of years. The only high tech gadget you need on MW is your camera.

KDT
    Very well said. Only put the GPS and phone back in your pocket, no into the ravine.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

WSR88D:
    Thanks for the information, I will be happy to ditch the sleeping bag and the gps, every ounce counts. What is the essense of the SSTP 2008 event? I hope its not a race to the summit! I will keep the 26th in mind when I do my final planning and make reservations for my trip.

I don't drive to NH. Too far, I fly SW to Manchester then rent a car and drive up to Pinkham. I still havent gotten an answer about water availability at the huts.

I feel much more comfortable and confident with the information I have gotten here in the past few days. I am a planner! I will spend the whole winter planning this hike and love evey minute of it.

I really envy hikers who live up in the Whites.

Thanks again,Big E

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by billysinc
    Water at the huts is free and plentiful
    Billysinc mentioned water is not a problem.
    ~Rich

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BigE
    WSR88D:
    Thanks for the information, I will be happy to ditch the sleeping bag and the gps, every ounce counts. What is the essense of the SSTP 2008 event? I hope its not a race to the summit! I will keep the 26th in mind when I do my final planning and make reservations for my trip.

I don't drive to NH. Too far, I fly SW to Manchester then rent a car and drive up to Pinkham. I still havent gotten an answer about water availability at the huts.

I feel much more comfortable and confident with the information I have gotten here in the past few days. I am a planner! I will spend the whole winter planning this hike and love evey minute of it.

I really envy hikers who live up in the Whites.

Thanks again,Big E
    Seek-the-Peak is not a race, it's the Mount Washington Observatories' major fund raiser of the year. You sign up, raise money from family and friends, then come and enjoy the day hiking to the summit and back. Their is a before and after party for those who participate.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rich
    Billysinc mentioned water is not a problem.

Thanks Rich and Billysinc. I noticed your comment after I posted my reply. I suppose water may not be an issue above TL that time of year? I just like to know as much as possible about where I hike. Thanks for your help.

Big E

Thanks

And driving to NH is not a problem. I work in Raleigh, NC and drive back and forth all the time to Maine. This summer it has been every other weekend. My next drive up will be the week before Columbus Day. Will be up there for the long weekend. We are lining up folks to waterski that weekend - might try to get a short hike in if the weather is good for pictures.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Default Fall Hiking

Are there better trails this late in the season? I've done Tuckerman only but in all weather including snow.