Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: First Ever Hike And Need Help

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,145
    Thanks
    541
    Thanked 121 Times in 73 Posts

    Default

    sounds peaceful
    i use to go hunting and did not care if i got a deer but i loved just sitting there watching all the little things that go on in the deep woods .it was a big relief on the brain .
    we have a couple over looks here at home and it is nice just to sit and let your mind wonder
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

    If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wahiawa, HI
    Posts
    2,359
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hawk
    sounds peaceful
    i use to go hunting and did not care if i got a deer but i loved just sitting there watching all the little things that go on in the deep woods .it was a big relief on the brain .
    we have a couple over looks here at home and it is nice just to sit and let your mind wonder
    Just don't let your mind wander off too far, it might fall off one of those overlooks.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,145
    Thanks
    541
    Thanked 121 Times in 73 Posts

    Default

    no I'm sitting down
    now i can guarantee that i wount fall a sleep
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

    If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    6,247
    Thanks
    112
    Thanked 398 Times in 250 Posts

    Default

    Such a wonderful time. That is a great place to relax and enjoy everything around you - whether you can see it all or not.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wahiawa, HI
    Posts
    2,359
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Brad, drive a nail for me while your working on that house!
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Cape Cod | Vail
    Posts
    51
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Welcome

    I agree. Don't start with MW. Try Lonesome Lake. Old Bridle Path, or Lincoln woods to start. The danger is real. It is not unheard of to have snow in the forcast in Augest.
    Map, compass ,food, water, rain gear, layers!, space blanket, good hiking boots, whistle!, a hiking partner and research. Hiking at night is a no, no in my book.
    Be safe and have fun

  7. #17
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    449
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 31 Times in 20 Posts

    Default

    Hi Chris!

    I first hiked MW last year after about 4 months of training/research (hitting the gym, doing small hikes, small climbs) and I've read some of the books suggested here (all GREAT advice). Definatetly try a few smaller hikes first, MW isn't going anywhere

    Went up for the second time this past Saturday, and I didnt train much beforehand. Made it up and back, and did have fun, but it hurt! Should have hiked more beforehand....

    Enjoy your hikes

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Dartmouth,MA.
    Posts
    1,416
    Thanks
    343
    Thanked 173 Times in 116 Posts

    Default

    Thanks for all the advice and no I am not going to hike M/W this year after hearing the advice from everybody and reading the book Tim & Val suggested "Not Without peril" (excellent book) I am saving that for STP 08. I have been buying my gear a little each week and I am going to be doing some other hikes before I attempt M/W.I have also been working out on my Bowflex and doing lot of walking (always did) to try to stay in shape.As soon as I get all my gear I will start some small hikes and work my way up to M/W.I am just anxious to get out there but after reading that book I am not going anywhere until I have all I need and I am prepared for anything.

    Chris

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wahiawa, HI
    Posts
    2,359
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CHRIS
    Thanks for all the advice and no I am not going to hike M/W this year after hearing the advice from everybody and reading the book Tim & Val suggested "Not Without peril" (excellent book) I am saving that for STP 08. I have been buying my gear a little each week and I am going to be doing some other hikes before I attempt M/W.I have also been working out on my Bowflex and doing lot of walking (always did) to try to stay in shape.As soon as I get all my gear I will start some small hikes and work my way up to M/W.I am just anxious to get out there but after reading that book I am not going anywhere until I have all I need and I am prepared for anything.

    Chris
    Living in eastern Mass you must have some decent hills to walk to keep you in shape. When I lived in CT we would hike Bear Mtn. from time to time. That would be a good one for you to begin with since it's prob. not too far from you.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Thomaston, Connect & cut
    Posts
    277
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WSR88D
    Living in eastern Mass you must have some decent hills to walk to keep you in shape. When I lived in CT we would hike Bear Mtn. from time to time. That would be a good one for you to begin with since it's prob. not too far from you.
    One of my favorite hikes!

    Undermountain trail to Bear Mtn to Sages Ravine To Race Mtn and back to civilization via the the Race Brook trail. Great views, varied terrain and about 10 miles in length.
    When you're chewing on life's gristle
    Don't grumble, give a whistle
    And this'll help things turn out for the best. And always look on the bright side of life.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •