Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you could....

Thanks

Default If you could....

Anyone who hikes the WMNF has an active imagination. This being said, if there was one person in White Mountain history you could hike with who would it be? Would it be Abel/Lucy Crawford, Miriam Underhill, Darby Field, a mapmaker like Guyot, an artist like Cole, a writer like Thoreau, a trailwright like Edmands or Blood, Joe Dodge, maybe even Paul Doherty? It could be anyone you choose related to the Whites.
    One of my choices would be Passaconaway. An opportunity unsurpassed to gain insight into the mountains and the life which they contain.

Thanks

Brad Washburn.

He was one of the last great adventurers/explorers around. They don't make them like that anymore.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Joe Dodge for sure, I would love to pick his brain about all his experiences on the mountain.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

I would second the vote for Joe Dodge. He really seemed to be the "man to be reckoned with" for a time in the Whites.

Thanks

Guy Waterman. The life he lived and what he went through with his family still stuns me.
    ~Rich

Thanks

i think i would have to pick brad ,steve ,bill and all from this forum that check i on a regular basis. i think you all are fun to talk to and it would be nice to do it on the trail
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Thanks

Hawk, thanks for the comment.

The question is a tough one. Brad W and Guy would be great to be with. But, if I had to pick one it would be a solid down to earth fellow like Joe Dodge.

Darby Field would have been amazing to be with too. But, I will stick with Joe D.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

After Passaconaway, I would choose Joe Dodge as well. Also Nathaniel Hawthorne would be pretty neat. Then Edmands, and finally Jeremy Belknap.

Thanks

History is being made every day, and with new history, new people will come to figure prominantly. I have been fortunate to share evening phone calls from within the warmth of the Observatory with Brad Washburn. I have also been fortunate to have had the opportunity to walk , wander, hike, ski, and just look out the window of the Sherman Adams building with members of the next group of people that history will remember kindly for their great dedication , hard work, and flowing enthusiasm readily shared with visitors to the Whites. Luckily for us, many of this group can be found on Mount Washington on a given day.
    Spend any time on the summit with the Observatory's Peter Crane, and you will gain appreciation of the history and lore of the Whites, and end up appreciating the mountain even more. Stop in Tuckermans in the winter to see and gain from the respect that USFS Rangers Chris, Brian, Justin, and Jeff have for the mountain snows. Ride in snowcat with Paul Clark and watch his eyes study the snow with a quite intensity, and his head turn to look to the left part way up the five mile stretch and you'll realize that his love for the mountain keeps him returning to the top.
    I hope that history remembers the never ending enthusiasm and knowledge that MWSP manager Mike Pelchat shares with visitors to Mount Washington every day. Just thinking of starlight winter hike loops around the summit between observations, skiing "after the wind died down" in the snow fields, heading out and ( only once) deciding maybe we shuld be back inside, or a day of in the Great Gulf with Mike brings a instant smile to my face.
    The future historic figures of the Whte mountains are still enjoying and giving to the mountains today. All history is not written. Venture into the Whites and gain from the mountains and maybe meet the dedicated people that work in them today, --- and will comprise the next chapter in the history of the whites

Thanks

No disrespect meant to any historical figure of the Whites-past,present,or,as you mention Pete S-the future. Pick any you want, and we can hope there will be those coming in the future who will continue the historical legacy.