Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If you could....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hawk
    i think i would have to pick brad ,steve ,bill and all from this forum that check i on a regular basis. i think you all are fun to talk to and it would be nice to do it on the trail
    Thanks hawk, your kewl too!
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

I agree that some of the people involved in the White Mountains today will go down in history. Many of the names that have already been mentioned.

But its hard to know how that will all play out. There's a Brad Washburn for our era. It just might take another 30 years before we know who that was. Who is today's Einstein? In this case it might be Stephen Hawking, but you see my point. Often, today's history makers aren't recognized until society has had the chance to reflect on their accomplishments.

Going back to Washburn. Today, his photos are regarded as world class art. Comparable to Ansel Adams. Yet, that wasn't his original intention. He was just a surveyor and map maker.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Cool no one else will chose this one.

I would love to sit down and spend time with the post master on the summit of Mount Washington. What an amazing man with amazing stories to tell. When I thru hiked in 86 he was the one that handed me my package when I went to the post office window. When I climbed for seek the peak 07 I was shocked there he was again. I spoke with him and he said he had open heart surgery which took him off the mountain but he couldn't stay away. The doctors said he needed to be near a major hospital that could help him with his heart problems but he declined and moved back to New Hampshire returning back to the rock pile post office. The stories that he could tell of all he has seen in his MANY years on the summit. What an incredible man. Next time your on the summit pop in and say hi to him and you will realize santa does spend his summers on the rockpile.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rockin rex
    I would love to sit down and spend time with the post master on the summit of Mount Washington. What an amazing man with amazing stories to tell. When I thru hiked in 86 he was the one that handed me my package when I went to the post office window. When I climbed for seek the peak 07 I was shocked there he was again. I spoke with him and he said he had open heart surgery which took him off the mountain but he couldn't stay away. The doctors said he needed to be near a major hospital that could help him with his heart problems but he declined and moved back to New Hampshire returning back to the rock pile post office. The stories that he could tell of all he has seen in his MANY years on the summit. What an incredible man. Next time your on the summit pop in and say hi to him and you will realize santa does spend his summers on the rockpile.
    I met him when I was up there for STP. I bought my Cog ticket for my trip down the mountain from him. I'm sure he is full of stories and has many experiences to share. He seemed to be in a bad mood though. Almost like I was bothering him by asking him questions and buying the ticket. It also may have just been a bad first impression of him or he was going through something and I was just at the wrong place at the right time. Anyway, he sure does look like Santa.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Pete s

you mention peter crane , he was our host on the E D U trip and like you said he is like a walking Encyclopedia . going on a hike with him was great ,he knows so much a bout the whites .
    i would love to see him again just to chat .
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Thanks

Default Who to hike with?

As for people we actually could hike with, I've got to agree with Pete S that hiking with Peter Crane and/or Mike Pelchat (and his wife Diane) would be an excellent way to spend a day in the mountains. Peter is just an all around nice person. Add to this his knowledge of the mountains and one could learn a lot in a few hours. Mike I sort of consider to be a modern day Joe Dodge. Having spent time talking to him while on the summit, and reading about some rescues he has been on gives me an appreciation for his dedication to the mountains. I've also had some great talks with his wife Diane who shares Mike's love and dedication to the Whites. There are many more who fall into this category, but these three stick out as I actually know them, if only as aquaintences. Others that come to mind would be Steve Smith, Gene Daniells, Mike Dickerman and Ben English.

As far as historical figures, Chocorua and Passaconaway would be high on the list. Thomas Starr King, Charles Hitchcock, JH Huntington, Edward Tuckerman and Francis Boott all come to mind. Though King was a clergyman, the rest were early explorers of the Presidential Range, studying the geology and botany of the highest mountains. Although it would be cool to talk to the Crawfords, I sort of view them as exploiters as much as they were pioneers. Just my opinion.

KDT

Thanks

There is no doubt in my mind that the crop of people who make up the current community of Mount Washington will become as legendary in the Whites as Joe Dodge. Peter Crane and Ken Rancourt are essentially, the Mount Washington Observatory for the bredth of knowledge they carry and the passion they bring. Mike Pelchat and Diane are the same way for the state park. Walter from the cog, and Danny, the state's night watchman have both been there longer than anyone currently on the peak, and sure can tell stories.

The truth is though, and I might be biased, but I find I'm in a constant mindset of inspiration, education and amazement when I hike with the passionate youth that come to the mountains season after season at the obs, amc, rmc and nfs bring an unrivaled amount of energy, passion and specialized knowledge. If any of you have spoken to a seasoned AMC naturalist, a winter caretaker, or Tom, Jon and formerly Neil from the obs, you'll know what I mean.

Thanks

Jim S, you make a good point. When we hike and see youth outing/camp groups on the trails it is very inspiring. They're tired, red-in-the-face,some excited,some want to know when its over. You have no idea where they are from in some cases, but its guaranteed at some point they will be back, as adults, parents or whatever their circumstances. We can hope they too find their inspiration in the Whites and its multitude of characters and themselves will be a foundation for the future.