Thread: Avian meteorology

Thanks

Default Avian meteorology

For those on the summit with your eyes to the sky. (or anyone else interested) a cold front is forcasted to move through the Mt Washington area Sat night. Given that the fall bird migration is underway, the conditions could be right for early raptors ie Broadwing Hawks. Let us know if you notice any kettles.

Thanks

Default Hawks

I meant to respond to this sooner. When we were on Carter Dome 8/11 we saw a few hawks. No kettles, but we watched 2 smaller hawks, I think Sharpies circle the summit for a while, then, out of the corner of my eye I caught a shadow of a larger hawk and looked up just in time to see him disappear over the trees. Not sure what he was, but much bigger than the other 2. No red tail, so I kind of ruled that out even though it wouldn't be prominent now.

KDT

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KD Talbot
    , then, out of the corner of my eye I caught a shadow of a larger hawk and looked up just in time to see him disappear over the trees.

KDT
    I see we share the same birding methods. I should tell you about all the warblers I didn't see. I often wonder how I got into this damn pastime.

Thanks

Default Some Help Please

Winds have been strong out of the north the past few days.

I'm trying to identify some raptor type birds that are circling my house.

They are very large. There is more than one and they seem to be crying non-stop with a sort of "weee, weeee, weee, weee" call. On top of that there is the distinctive hawk/eagle long, high-pitched call. The one that a five year old would identify with a bird of prey.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

"Avian meteorology". Is this the study of weather as observed through birds and their behavior? Or is it the study of weather by birds?