Thread: Trip Report - Walking in the Clouds on North and South Twin

Thanks

Default Trip Report - Walking in the Clouds on North and South Twin

Hi!!

Yesterday, we did North and South Twin because it was going to be 80 degrees and sunny. It's amazing how wrong the weather forecasters can be

In reality, it was fine. Just a bit cool and damp.

Trip report can be found here

Valerie

Thanks

Sounds like a good day anyway. I was cutting trees and hauling brush. Would rather have been up with you.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Hikes with no views are not as nice as hikes with views but what can beat a day in the woods. Last year the family and I hike to Lonesome Lake in the rain. When we started it was just a sprinkle, but not too far in it became rain and was with us all the way to the hut. The temp outside the hut read 41 degrees. While we enjoyed our rest with hot chocolate and snacks. The weather broke briefly about an hour later so we donned our gear and headed back down the trail. About a half-hour later it began to rain again and even sleet as we made our way down. The weather broke again right as we were getting back to our car. To me, those days are as memorable as the sunny ones. Being prepared is always the key.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Default Twins

Great TR! For comparison, the first time my wife did the Bonds, we had the same view you had on the Twins. What's the answer? Go back! Yeah! The second time we had a beautiful day. You must return to the Twins when you can. The views are some of the best you will find in the Whites. As Steve said, "What can beat a day in the woods?"

I just spent much time on your site, great stuff! We've never been to the ADK's, but after seeing yours and some others pictures I am seriously considering it. Do you have many of them? We'll finish New England first, but I will seriously consider doing the 46 and the Catskills and becoming a 115er!

KDT

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KD Talbot
    We've never been to the ADK's, but after seeing yours and some others pictures I am seriously considering it. Do you have many of them? We'll finish New England first, but I will seriously consider doing the 46 and the Catskills and becoming a 115er!

KDT
    Tim just helped his Dad finish his ADK 46 this summer, but it's kind-of funny because Tim is still about 9 peaks short over there himself. Dad did a few without him. I am *very far* behind, and so Tim will need to do virtually the entire mountain range again to help me get my 46er patch.

I'll try to come up with some other links (not found off our normal web page) for some of the older ADK trips... I'm sure they're a HOOT.

The Adirondacks are just gorgeous. Overall, I think that they are a little more "wild" than the Whites. Their wilderness management policies seem to be more oriented towards saving the forests from the people. NH seems to be more about managing the people within the forests. Not saying that one is better or worse... they are just very different. 20 of the 46 in the ADKs are "trailless". I've only been on one of those and it was *not* a walk in the park. It generally involved being stuck over and over by dead pine branches until you start to swear. Coming out of the hike bloody and bruised. ha ha

For those who haven't ventured around our link to find the main page for our NH48 website, it's http://www.barkeater.ws/nh48/ I usually just point my links on the forum here to a single trip report at a time, but this is the high-level link.

Valerie

Thanks

Default Bears!!

I forgot to mention the other big difference between the Whites and the Adirondacks... BEARS!!

We've had close-up bear encounters multiple times while doing overnights in the ADKs. They are prolific enough, and bold enough, that a Backpacker's Cache (i.e. "bear barrel") is required equipment for an overnight.

I'll dig for those pictures too!!

Valerie

Thanks

Default ADK's, Bears, etc.

I ran across one TR where a bear got your trash. Heck, that's why we bring Emma, to protect us from bears!

Yeah, I'm not sure about geting Jude through the ADK 'whacks, but then, I never thought I'd get her through the NH48. I had to return to many. No problem on my part. When we got Emma, then Jude was determined to get through so the dog could get her patch, and she had to return to many she swore she'd never do again. They're a few shy of 2x48, so a little dog can be a lot of inspiration, to us anyway. Like I said, I'd like to get the rest of NE, then go for the 'Dacks and Cats.

KDT

Thanks

Great trip report. I really liked the pictures of the grouse. They don't often let you that close.