Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Globe Article and VFTT Thread

Thanks

There are better ways to toughen up kids than put them at risk. My 14 year old is tough ( ask blue dog) but he didn't get that way by putting him at risk.
    When I did seek the peak with him we did Huntington but I always had one eye on the weather. He fully understood if the weather was bad down we would go. Once I got to the fan and was committed to the climb I was not comfortable until I reached the top. I have hiked so often with my kids and their safety is ALWAYS number 1!!!!!!!!! YOU CAN NEVER LET YOUR GOALS OVER RIDE THE SAFETY OF THE CHILDREN.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rockin rex
    There are better ways to toughen up kids than put them at risk. My 14 year old is tough ( ask blue dog) but he didn't get that way by putting him at risk.
    When I did seek the peak with him we did Huntington but I always had one eye on the weather. He fully understood if the weather was bad down we would go. Once I got to the fan and was committed to the climb I was not comfortable until I reached the top. I have hiked so often with my kids and their safety is ALWAYS number 1!!!!!!!!! YOU CAN NEVER LET YOUR GOALS OVER RIDE THE SAFETY OF THE CHILDREN.

i say not only kids how about friends .when i was on the EDU trip we came across some men in there 20s and were mad that one of there friends was lagging far behind .thats not nice to go on with out there friend . we were hiking and i started falling behind and the hole group stopped and waited to make sure i was OK . then the all went at my pace .and when we were done i said thanks to each one for doing that and it made me enjoy the hike a lot more .
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Thanks

I think I missed the point that others were trying to make.

The problem here isn't with the weather conditions. For experienced and well-equipped hikers this was nothing more than a challenging day. If you're from Scotland this was about as nice as it ever gets. I think even the hikers in the story were prepared for this trip.

But that's not how the article was written. They advertised ignoring expert warnings and started the hike with the mindset that guaranteed refuge was awaiting at the summit. And they put themselves at the mercy of the Cog.

From the article I got the impression they were staying at the Mount Washington Resort. Assuming that's the one in Bretton Woods maybe their intention all along was to take the Cog down.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill O
    I think I missed the point that others were trying to make.

The problem here isn't with the weather conditions. For experienced and well-equipped hikers this was nothing more than a challenging day. If you're from Scotland this was about as nice as it ever gets. I think even the hikers in the story were prepared for this trip.

But that's not how the article was written. They advertised ignoring expert warnings and started the hike with the mindset that guaranteed refuge was awaiting at the summit. And they put themselves at the mercy of the Cog.

From the article I got the impression they were staying at the Mount Washington Resort. Assuming that's the one in Bretton Woods maybe their intention all along was to take the Cog down.
    That's the same impression I got reading the article. I have to agree, the way this trip is portrayed to a mass audience from Boston and the surrounding area with so many inexperienced people is irresponsible. It portrays exactly the opposite of what the AMC and MWO is trying to teach about the mountain. The idea that the top of Mt. W. is any guarantee of "shelter", or a safe haven, or even a ride down as an escape from the elements is stretching it to say the least.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???