Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jefferson Rescue

Thanks

Default Jefferson Rescue

I'm not sure if there was any discussion on this forum about the recent rescue on Jefferson, I don't think there was. Here is the story as it appeared the next day.

CONCORD, N.H. - An injured hiker was airlifted off Mount Jefferson in New Hampshire's White Mountains this morning (Tuesday, August 28, 2007). Quentas Chess, age 53, of Mamaroneck, NY, had been hiking with three companions on the Jefferson Loop Trail when he was injured after tripping and falling face-first onto a rocky area.

The injury occurred at approximately 4 p.m. yesterday (August 27, 2007). The injured man's hiking party included his brother, a doctor, who was able to stabilize his condition and secure him in a tent while they attempted to call for help. At about 7 p.m. they notified the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department via cell phone that their injured companion was unable to walk down the mountain.

Rescuers set off at daylight today (August 28, 2007) to locate the hiking party. A team of two N.H. Fish and Game Conservation Officers - paramedic Brad Morse and first-responder Mark Ober - along with Mike Pelchat of the Androscoggin Valley Search and Rescue team and N.H. State Parks, hiked out from the summit of Mount Washington. An Army National Guard helicopter was called in to assist with the evacuation.

At approximately 8:30 a.m., Chess was airlifted off the mountain by the Army National Guard helicopter. He was then transported by ambulance to Concord Hospital.

No further information is available at this time.

I recieved this update from buddy Mike Pelchat from the State Park. As you know, he's been involved in a rescue or three up there.

"The hiker who smacked his eye by falling face first without even outstretching a hand to help break the fall, looked a lot worse in person. He lost sight in that eye, maybe a detached retina too, hope he'll recover his sight, haven't heard yet. I may have to pull this clip if F&G thinks its not PC due to HEPA rules but its up for now."

Here is a link to the youtube film of the rescue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4zopIY_q8s

Thanks Mike, AVSAR and NH Fish and Game, and especially NHANG who made this quick med flight off of Jefferson possible. This guy took a tumble. It had nothing to do with experience or conditions, it could have been any one of us!

KDT

Thanks

Thanks for posting.

Wow, they landed a helicopter on Mount Jefferson.

More importantly I rediscovered Mike's videos. That power line project is slightly more destructive than I thought. I hope they do a good job cleaning up their mess.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Thanks for sharing this with us! We hear about SAR's all the time but that video brings it closer to home. It helps give a greater appreciation for those who are dedicated to risking there lives for the well being of others. Hopefully F&G won't pull this clip but that it will boost awareness of what they do as well as help boost funding.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Thanks for posting. It helps remind us that those rocks are slippery and it is easy to catch a toe of your boot. I did that coming down Tucks for STP and went flying - into rocks. Cut my hand a bit - stopped the fall - but it took the wind out of me. After a few minutes I was able to stand and continued down.

Be Safe.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

That's great video KDT. thanks for the link!

Thanks

thanks for sharing this it shows how much can be involved in a S A R operation and why you need to have things in your pack for the worst. like spending the night out side and first aid .
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Thanks

Thanks for the message - I know I'm "preaching to the choir" when I observe that A. There was a trained medical person in the group, and B. they managed to be or get to a place where there was cell coverage, and it was STILL the next day before "help arrived".

One of the most valuable lessons is the importance of being prepared, "I have a cell phone, so I don't need to carry x,y,z" doesn't work, is illustrated here.

(Yeah, I'm a Wilderness EMT)
    XYZZY

Thanks

do you think that the eye was not that bad ,thats why they staid the night .
    if it was really bad would they make an attempt to get down or help to get to them ?
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WEMT
    Thanks for the message - I know I'm "preaching to the choir" when I observe that A. There was a trained medical person in the group, and B. they managed to be or get to a place where there was cell coverage, and it was STILL the next day before "help arrived".

One of the most valuable lessons is the importance of being prepared, "I have a cell phone, so I don't need to carry x,y,z" doesn't work, is illustrated here.

(Yeah, I'm a Wilderness EMT)
    Had this guy been bleeding out help would have been there much sooner. Those helicopters do fly in the dark.

Given that it was a non life-threatening injury they had much more wiggle room and were able to hunker down for the night
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hawk
    do you think that the eye was not that bad ,thats why they staid the night .
    if it was really bad would they make an attempt to get down or help to get to them ?
    Seems strange. Bad enough to dispatch a multi-million dollar military helicopter and land it very close to the summit of the mountain.

I wonder if there's more to this story. On the other hand, helicopter pilots don't sign up for the job to sit in a conference room all day. They do like to get out and practice.
    Bill
    EasternLight