Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best place to live in northern NH?

Thanks

Default Best place to live in northern NH?

Due to a change in my personal circumstances, I am planning to sell my house in Gloucester, Mass., and move somewhere in the White Mountain region so that I can be right near the mountains I love to hike in. I'm a freelance editor, which means I don't have a lot of money but I can do my work from anyplace that I park my computer. I'd like to buy a small inexpensive house that hopefully has some trees around it.

So...any thoughts? Littleton? Lincoln? Gorham? Conway? Plymouth? Whitefield? Colebrook? (etc., etc.).... Just off the top of your head--impressions, ideas welcome!

Jenny B. (a.k.a. krummholz)

Thanks

When we decided to move north (from Northern Virginia), we rented a house for a year to get a feel for the area and see what the community was like to live in. Although I had been coming to the Mount Washington Valley for 20 years prior (on vacation), I figured until I lived here I wouldn't know it that well. As a result we ended up buying a house in a neighborhood we didn't even know about near Conway Lake beach, and have been quite pleased with the choice (great neighbors, mountains nearby, kayaking a short distance away, ...). Frankly, the only thing that would make it better is if it was more of a "college town," but all the other great things about this place (and people too) more than make up for it.

Thanks

I would probably look at the Gorham and Randolph areas. Far enough away from the summer crowds but you can get to a bigger town (N Conway) pretty easily. I have a friend in Randolph and the trails go right past his house.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Just get north of the Notches and you will be fine, trust me I know, I'm from Jefferson!

All depends on what you want (the following is all opinion) Littleton is your best bet for a town on the grid. Lisbon area is nice, so is Bethlehem. It will get cheaper the farther north you go. Good deals for buying or renting can be found in Gorham & Berlin, even cheaper in Milan, Dummer, and such. Even up near Stark.You have alternatives in that area. Brad is right, Randolph is great, but there are a lot of long-timers there and houses for sale aren't as common as they can stay in the family awhile, when they go up for sale they can go fast.

Subscribe to the Coos County Democrat (online or print, I still get my print down here but an online sub is included with the price) or Berlin Daily Sun.

If by chance you want a college-like town, take Plymouth, its south of the Notches but still in striking distance.

Another option is the Lancaster, Whitefield, Lunenburg area. Lots of houses and apts. for rent and sale. Lancaster is a nice town. Whitefield has a great Common too.

Of course, my fav is Jefferson, but not everyone gets to grow-up in a homemade log cabin that abuts National Forest and can only have been seen by airplane. Some of us are just lucky!
    "LIVE FREE OR DIE...DEATH IS NOT THE WORST OF ALL EVILS." Gen. John Stark. "by reason of much foule weather and Extreme Bad Woods to travel in..." From the letter of my Great Uncle, Samuel Willard (accompanied by my grandfather Henry), to Governor Dummer on August 16, 1725, explaining the reason for his return, being instructed to "range all the country", of the Wawobadenik (White Mountains) July 19-August 16, 1725. I am a 13th generation New Englander and proud of it.

Thanks

I guess as a resident of Ashland, I am voting for the Plymouth area. It gives you a relatively short drive to the first Notch (Franconia) but still leaves you only an hour from Manchester, if needed.

We *love* Ashland and could not be happier with our home purchase back in 2005. We got ourselves a tiny boat and enjoy summer afternoons on Little Squam Lake.

That being said, there are times in the summer when the "tourists" really outnumber the "residents". I put it in quotes because "tourists" means Mass folks and "residents" must have family that goes back several generations in Ashland.

We'll probably never be considered locals, but that's OK. Some folks were surprised the first time that we stayed through a winter here.

We love it, and I'm sure you'll love it too, no matter where you choose. We moved from Wilmington, Delaware and it was the best decision of our lives.

Valerie

Thanks

Thanks for all the suggestions. I like Hobbes' idea of renting in the area to give me lots of time to explore the region. It'll probably be a matter of weighing lower costs/a more peaceful, out-in-the-woods feeling/fewer amenities (north of the notches) versus lots of things to do/restaurants, movies, etc./also more traffic and real estate more expensive (south of the notches).

Thanks

Default When we move to N.H. ..........

Once the kids are out of school we will be moving to New Hampshire. I have looked in many areas and I have settled on the Gorham area. It is close to Maine and the 100 mile wilderness and yet right in the White Mountains. I have looked at home prices in Gorham and they are very reasonable. This town also attracts me because it is a major Appalachian Trail Town. I guess the bottom line is any place in New Hampshire is better than living any where else ( Especially New Jersey )

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rockin rex View Post
    Once the kids are out of school we will be moving to New Hampshire. I have looked in many areas and I have settled on the Gorham area. It is close to Maine and the 100 mile wilderness and yet right in the White Mountains. I have looked at home prices in Gorham and they are very reasonable. This town also attracts me because it is a major Appalachian Trail Town. I guess the bottom line is any place in New Hampshire is better than living any where else ( Especially New Jersey )
    I agree with everything you say, when our daughter has graduated (2 years to go) we're going back home to NH. Only caveat: be prepared for tough job situations.
    "LIVE FREE OR DIE...DEATH IS NOT THE WORST OF ALL EVILS." Gen. John Stark. "by reason of much foule weather and Extreme Bad Woods to travel in..." From the letter of my Great Uncle, Samuel Willard (accompanied by my grandfather Henry), to Governor Dummer on August 16, 1725, explaining the reason for his return, being instructed to "range all the country", of the Wawobadenik (White Mountains) July 19-August 16, 1725. I am a 13th generation New Englander and proud of it.

Thanks

I guess the bottom line is any place in New Hampshire is better than living any where else ( Especially New Jersey )
    Yeah, I'd have to agree with you... First time I came to NH was from Exit 8 (NJ TPK) with my school's Outing Club.

Thanks

... I guess the bottom line is any place in New Hampshire is better than living any where else ( Especially New Jersey )
    or Rhode Island

Here is a good site to look at Real Estate listings:

http://www.nneren.com/
    Gene .. just one more Swamp Yankee from RI.