Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Easy hikes to waterfalls?

Thanks

Default Easy hikes to waterfalls?

I'm thinking of going hiking thursday or friday this week (because it will finally be sunny again!)

I want to lug up my camera gear and tripod to shoot some panoramics (quicktime VR)

So, I don't want a very long or steep hike, something that's a few miles each way would be good.

Any suggestions?

Also, since it's raining all week, I would assume friday would be better because that gives an extra day to dry out the trails.

Kirk

Thanks

Isn't Rich the waterfall expert?

I was thinking the overcast conditions would make for some good waterfall shots. Clearing storms also make for some good panoramics, as long as the clouds aren't moving too fast and ruin the stitches.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Agree with Bill. The elevated water levels may also be more dramatic.

In addition to the AMC books which cover waterfalls, there is also a White Mountains Waterfalls brochure which you can find online.

Thanks

Thumbs up

~Lower Ammonoosuc Falls is a quick flat walk.

~Ammonoosuc River at the pull off on the Cog road. Very dramatic gorge, cool bridge and you can get right at rivers edge. About 2.5 miles up the road from Fabyan's I think.

~Beecher and Pearl Cascades behind the Crawford Depot are very pretty and easy to get to.

~One of our favorites is near Appalachia. A series consisting of Gordon Falls, Salroc falls, Tama fall and Cold Brook falls. I have some video of these and if I ever learn how to get it here, I'll post it. This might be the best area for the quality you do. Very lush forest and great falls.

~ Georgiana Falls gets steep after a mile or so but not sure how far you need to go to get what you're looking for.

~Up the Basin / Cascades trail. You could have a fun time filming here...Not at the tourist Basin but further up the trail. You can walk along the huge granite trail while the river flows next to you.

~Any off the Kanc would be nice too.

There...that covers the N, S, E and West.

All should be running nicely by weeks end.
    Have fun!
    Last edited by Rich; 09-10-2007 at 04:06 PM.
    ~Rich

Thanks

I will second the appalachia look Rich Listed. The fallsway trail is great, and coldbrook falls is impressive even in low water.

I would recommend Thompson Falls near wildcat, and crystal cascade behind pinkham. But for a loop with lots of falls, fallsway at appalachia is tops!

Thanks

Here's a few less spectacular, but easy to get to:

Beede Falls just off of the Sandwich Notch road in Sandwich. It's in the AMC guide.

There's 2 others, although smaller are worth mentioning because of their location in Stratfford NH, and are relatively unknown. They are at their peak in spring of course, but after a good rainfall they have alot of water going over them. Good trout fishing, too They are on the Big River and known locally as Little and Big Niagra. The nearest that I can tell from Google Earth, the Lat/Lon are: 43 19'33.98"N 71 09'66"W and 43 19'11.76"N 71 09" 57.2"W respectively. Enjoy!

Veni, Vidi, Velcro!

Thanks

Default Late Entry

This might be too late to do any good, but nobody mentioned Glen Ellis Falls in Pinkham Notch. It's about a five minute walk. Also, there is Ripley Falls in Crawford Notch, 20 minutes, and right down the road from that is Arethusa Falls, but it is a little harder to get to.

KDT

Thanks

I ended up going up to Franconia Notch to shoot some waterfalls. A friend of mine who hikes all the time (he's doing MW on Sunday) took me up to exit 34 or so (just north of The Flume & Basin). I definitely want to check out some of the waterfalls everyone replied to on this thread...

These are in Quicktime VR panoramics, so you'll need Apple's Quicktime installed.

These are the "rough" cuts, I haven't pieced everything together or done any color correction, I just wanted to see how they'd come out. Overall they look alright, but the sky is a bit washed out. Still learning how to shoot in manual mode.

Waterfall 1
    http://www.kmembrydesign.com/pano/nh...nia/pano1.html

Waterfall 2
    http://www.kmembrydesign.com/pano/nh...nia/pano2.html

Waterfall 3 (kinda hidden)
    http://www.kmembrydesign.com/pano/nh...nia/pano3.html

Boise Rock
    http://www.kmembrydesign.com/pano/nh...nia/pano4.html

Thanks

Default Cool Stuff!

I especially like the view from Boise Rock. I always wondered if that scene in Star Wars where Luke survives the frigid cold by cutting open that creature and crawling inside came from the legend of Boise Rock. Anyway, the talus field below Cannon Cliffs is always interesting. Somewhere in that pile are the Old Man's remains.

KDT

Thanks

Question Help me understand...

Quote Originally Posted by KD Talbot
    Somewhere in that pile are the Old Man's remains.KDT
    Minus the Pieces that were taken and sold on the internet.

Anyway, I don't quite get the pano. How come there's a space between the "shot" we see while looking at the tripod and the camera? It would appear the camera is above the tripod looking down.
    ~Rich