Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Views OF Washington

Thanks

Default Best Views OF Washington

As a amateur photograph, and general Mount Washington fan, I'm always looking for places where you can see a great profile of Mount Washington or the Presidential Range from. We all know there are great views from the top of Wildcat and from the Mount Washington Hotel, but I'm curious about the more distant, more obscure and more interesting points that you can see washington from. Perhaps when driving around, you spotted Washington from a place you never expected that you would.

My personal favorite viewpoint is Rt 115A in Jefferson, over the Isreal River. If you've driven this stretch of road, you know the spot.

There is also a spot just west of Alton Bay on Lake Winni where you can suddenly see washington over the lake...

And as a last example, there is a picture of Washington from Lunenburg, Vt in the March 2007 photojournal that I'm dying to check out the view from...

So where are some others???
    "I've learned that everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but that all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."
    ~Andy Rooney

Follow my photography on Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jim-Sa...y/156147782386

Thanks

Thumbs up

When I first started reading this I said to myself, 115A in Jefferson! Then I read on... That is the perfect view, IMO!
    ~Rich

Thanks

Two sentences into your post I was thinking of winter alpenglow from Vermont. Which I was often treated to on drives home from MWN.

You should play around with some highpoints near Lunenburg, but you might want to go farther west. I remember some great views of Mount Washington On US-2 between St. Johnsbury and West Danville. More likley closer to W Danville than St. J.

With a big zoom I know you can get some iconic VT farm with Mount Washington looming large due to foreshortening.

You really need the snow and clear winter air to make that photo happen.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

I'm not sure if it was on this forum, but I remember finding a website that lets you virtually see the horizon from anyplace in the world.

You enter you lat/lon and elevation and it draws a picture of the ridges/mountains that lie in your view.

Actually, I think it was in that ridiculous thread about seeing the World Trade Center from Mount Washington.
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

I like the rest area on route 16 north of N Conway by Hurricane Mt Road. It is not far far away, but it is a nice view. There are couple of views from the Kanc at one of the more eastern rest areas.

Another is when crossing the bridge over the Saco when you do the bypass from route 302 to route 16 north of Conway village.

As you head east on route 302 towards Fryeburg there are a couple of spots.

For one quite a ways away on route 35 east of Long Lake in Maine going north from Naples to Harrison. There is a farm at the top of a hill and a large open field - and MW is in the distance. The top of pleasant Mt on the western side of Bridgton should have a good view.

Hawk Mt at the northern end o Long Lake by Harrison does not have a good view. I do not think there is a good view from Jockey Cap in Fryeburg.

Back in Bridgton, Maine. Head out of town on route 302 towards Fryeburg and N Conway. Just as you leave the town proper the road bends to the left - take the right hand turn and skirt south of Highland Lake. Just past the launch ramp there are 2 houses on the left right on the water. Standing between them there is an excellent view of the lake and MW in the distance.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    I like the rest area on route 16 north of N Conway by Hurricane Mt Road. It is not far far away, but it is a nice view. There are couple of views from the Kanc at one of the more eastern rest areas.

Another is when crossing the bridge over the Saco when you do the bypass from route 302 to route 16 north of Conway village.

As you head east on route 302 towards Fryeburg there are a couple of spots.

For one quite a ways away on route 35 east of Long Lake in Maine going north from Naples to Harrison. There is a farm at the top of a hill and a large open field - and MW is in the distance. The top of pleasant Mt on the western side of Bridgton should have a good view.

Hawk Mt at the northern end o Long Lake by Harrison does not have a good view. I do not think there is a good view from Jockey Cap in Fryeburg.

Back in Bridgton, Maine. Head out of town on route 302 towards Fryeburg and N Conway. Just as you leave the town proper the road bends to the left - take the right hand turn and skirt south of Highland Lake. Just past the launch ramp there are 2 houses on the left right on the water. Standing between them there is an excellent view of the lake and MW in the distance.
    Hurricane Mt Road is a great drive. I love getting to the top and then getting out and just breathing in the air. Great balsam smell up there. Almost as strong as one of those scent bags you can buy at the gift shop right there across from that rest area.

Thanks

Default View

We were on Moosilaukee in February '06. We had one of those high pressure days where you can see forever. The view northeast over the Franconia Ridge to Washington was unbelievable. I felt like I was standing on Mount Everest or something, looking out across so many mountains. I think it's about 50 miles to MW from the Moose.

KDT

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KD Talbot
    We were on Moosilaukee in February '06. We had one of those high pressure days where you can see forever. The view northeast over the Franconia Ridge to Washington was unbelievable. I felt like I was standing on Mount Everest or something, looking out across so many mountains. I think it's about 50 miles to MW from the Moose.

KDT
    Any photos?
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

Default Of course!

Here's a link:

http://ghostflowers.com/white_mtns40...ukee21106.html

You can click through on the thumbnails if they change too slow.
    KDT

Thanks

Thumbs up

Very nice site design, Bill. Did you do that yourself?