Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Hike

Thanks

Default First Hike

earlier this month, the wife and I took our first White Mts hike, Mt Willard. Being considerably out of shape, this easy (according to AMC guide) hike almost killed us. we were sore for the next couple of days. our goal next year is something a little more challenging. we want to get in better shape for next year. any suggestions on what piece of exercise equipment for best train us? stairclimber, exercise bike, etc?? thanks in advance.

graham

Thanks

Welcome Graham!

Where do you live? Near the mountains? If so then hiking is your best training. If not then get a good stairmaster or if you have stairs in your home use them...they're a lot cheaper!
    ~Rich

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rich
    Welcome Graham!

Where do you live? Near the mountains? If so then hiking is your best training. If not then get a good stairmaster or if you have stairs in your home use them...they're a lot cheaper!
    i'm in nova scotia, not overly hilly.

Thanks

I use the basement to first floor stairs in the house. Up and down = 1 trip. Start with 10 trips and work up. I focus on doing them flat out with no rest and try to add each day. I will do more of this in the spring as i found it did help.

I have found a training hike in NC about 2 hours from here (Pilot Mt) that I did twice this summer with heavy stuff in the pack to focus on the irregular stone steps going up.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Welcome to the forums Nova.

I use the bleachers at the local high school. The nice thing about bleachers is you can climb from seat to seat (easier) to start off, then when you need more of a challenge you can do floor to seat. If you live close to a University try there stadium. I guarantee those will get you ready.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WSR88D
    Welcome to the forums Nova.

I use the bleachers at the local high school. The nice thing about bleachers is you can climb from seat to seat (easier) to start off, then when you need more of a challenge you can do floor to seat. If you live close to a University try there stadium. I guarantee those will get you ready.
    thanks for the info. i like the cheaper options more than the stairmaster. i've started taking the stairs up to where i work. 4 floors and i'm usually sucking air by the time i get to the top! i'm going to look around locally for a pile of steps or a steep hill. i want to be able to feel like Mt Willard is a piece of cake next year and try something tougher.

Thanks

I am going to give you an intersting option, but it keeps my legs in really good shape for a simple piece of equipment.

It's called an INDO board, or comparable balance trainer.

http://www.indoboard.com/index.php

When you stand on this thing, you have to stabilize your whole body with the little used muscles in your legs. As you build up your balance, you can attempt to do squats on it, which'll feel like starting over.

For under $100, I don't think that there is anything better.

One word of warning. Brace yourself against a wall and clear the room the first time you try it though!!!
    "I've learned that everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but that all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."
    ~Andy Rooney

Follow my photography on Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jim-Sa...y/156147782386

Thanks

Jim,

I checked out the site for the Indo boards. Which style do you use or recommend for hiking since there are many styles?
    Steve

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by novascroller
    thanks for the info. i like the cheaper options more than the stairmaster. i've started taking the stairs up to where i work. 4 floors and i'm usually sucking air by the time i get to the top!
    Don't worry about sucking wind after four flights of stairs. It's not a good indicator of your physical ability. I get winded from walking up a few flights and I can climb Mount Washington in less than 2.5 hours. Your body needs some time to get your heart rate up.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill O
    Don't worry about sucking wind after four flights of stairs. It's not a good indicator of your physical ability. I get winded from walking up a few flights and I can climb Mount Washington in less than 2.5 hours. Your body needs some time to get your heart rate up.
    That is very true. It seems the body always fights physical exercise. At the beginning with the lack of oxygen comes winded-ness and fatigued muscles, but after a short period of time the blood gets the oxygen to your body and your body will catch up and be fine.
    Years ago I was a distance runner and I would experience two of those times. Once when I would start running, and the second was "hitting the wall" so top speak. As I would press on past the wall it was like getting my second wind and I could run quite a bit farther.
    Steve