Thread: Mt. Washington - Wired!

Thanks

Default Mt. Washington - Wired!

Since spring crews have been working on burying a power/communications cable parallel to the Cog. (One of the more intriguing results of this is the creation of a service road.) There's a great article on the project in today's Concord Monitor (10/3/07).

Here's one of the images I got recently while documenting the project. There's are few more at http://www.lakesregionaerials.com/MtW_wired/list0.html.

Bill Hemmel
    AerialPhotoNH.com

Thanks

What a mess. Not just the "Smog RR" but the project itself. (Minus well truck out the old cog timbers while they're working up there) Sure hope this project is worth it. Will the generators stay for back up power when the valley goes out?
    ~Rich

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rich
    Will the generators stay for back up power when the valley goes out?

There will be backup generators. They will not be (as I understand it) noisy, smoke-belching generators under the overhang.

Not having a source of backup power would be life-threatening for the summit staff.

Thanks

I've yet to hear whether or not they are going to clean up that mess. I imagine they can make everything look the same as before but nobody has said anything. I would think that every bit of news would have several disclaimers saying the landscape would be returned to its natural state after construction.

Getting rid of those generators will be a big step to restoring the summit of Mount Washington. First of all, the crew is no longer going to have a cake walk to the precip can.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Default Re: Mt. Washington - Wired!

Sure looks like an open invitation to erosion.

I trust something will be done before the storms start using this new channel.
    Why did I climb the mountain? Because I was there.
    - Mak

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Maksutov
    Sure looks like an open invitation to erosion.

I trust something will be done before the storms start using this new channel.
    That channel of dirt needs to be covered by rocks and hopefully they will clean up their mess. The railroad has a poor track record at cleaning up. Just off the summit, where the cog leaves and starts heading down, there is a platform. Below the platform is a mess of left over wood, brick, and cement that has been there since who knows when.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

If they're not going to repair the trench as it was prior to construction then make it "The Power Line Trail" to the summit.

Breath deep.. ..take in the coal particles.. ..wave to the coggers...... What's better than that?
    ~Rich

Thanks

I love the smell of coal in the a.m. and the sight of women in high-heels on the summit.
    When you're chewing on life's gristle
    Don't grumble, give a whistle
    And this'll help things turn out for the best. And always look on the bright side of life.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rich
    If they're not going to repair the trench as it was prior to construction then make it "The Power Line Trail" to the summit.

Breath deep.. ..take in the coal particles.. ..wave to the coggers...... What's better than that?
    yea, and skipping and hopping over bricks and RR ties, cool!
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Default Coggers

I believe you mean "Moon" the Coggers. No wait, you get a ticket for that now and wind up on NH's sex offender list. Live Free or Die my a_ _! I mean moon!

KDT