Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Columbus Day Weekend Around the Whites

Thanks

Default Columbus Day Weekend Around the Whites

Well, I just got back from a 3 day photo tour around the Whites. IMO, this is the best foliage year since 2002, lets hope that the rain this week keeps some leaves on the trees...

I took about 300+ photos, here are the preliminary 8. I'll edit a few more this week as time allows...

Saturday morning I drove out to Crawford Notch before daybreak. I was thinking about going out to Zealand road, but foliage here was tops, and I waited for light at Willey Pond. Kevin warned me it might take a while in a phone consult this week, but I got it around 8:30!

Clouds came quickly, and I tried to find some streams with water for the rest of the afternoon, but came away with little...a steady rain ended my day early...

Sunday morning I found dense fog in the valleys, but clearing was indicated in the notches, so I hung out at the overlook in the notch for a while and finally captured this shot...

After that I went to the Glen Ellis Overlook, and got off only ONE picture before the sun broke through completely. This is it:

Later Sunday, I went up with Ryan and Michelle from the Obs to Sugarloaf mountain off Zealand Road. The folaige was UNBELIVABLE! We stayed on the summit until well after sunset snapping away, and hiked out after dark singing the Smurfs theme for some reason to scare off the bears...

Here are the shots from there...

and ofcourse Washington:

And lastly on the way back to the seacoast this morning, I got this shot along the ossipee river:

A productive weekend, with varied and all together glorious weather, and a heck of a lot of fun with friends and foliage!
    "I've learned that everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but that all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."
    ~Andy Rooney

Follow my photography on Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jim-Sa...y/156147782386

Thanks

As always Jim, great pictures. I am heading out from Maine after lunch tomorrow and am headed across the Kanc then to VT and down to NC. I am hoping for some places to stop and see the color.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

great shots. It is such a wonderful time of year.

Thanks

Thumbs up

Awesome color! Without a doubt, the best in many years! Wish we could've headed up that way this weekend! We camped in the NW corner of CT Fri. and Sat. night and the color is pretty nice up there.

Great shots, Jim! Thanks!
    ~Rich

Thanks

Again, I'm wishing I was in New England right now, thanks to all your great photos...I'm just glad you guys take the time to shoot and post. Thanks for sharing!
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Default Man!

You just have the eye. While I just rush along the trails, snapping this and that and basically make a joke out of taking a good picture, you sit patiently and wait for the right moment and Bam!, you capture it. Jealous as always.

KDT

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KD Talbot
    You just have the eye. While I just rush along the trails, snapping this and that and basically make a joke out of taking a good picture, you sit patiently and wait for the right moment and Bam!, you capture it. Jealous as always.

KDT
    I would't complain about the eye, you most definitely have a good one as well, maybe a different eye but your wildflowers are a real treat. Jim has a talent for the light and the landscapes. And I wouuld be completely remiss if I didn't comment on the gnome of the forest's wildlife shots.

This groups skills on the whole are well above average and we, on this forum are very lucky to be treated to such talent freely

This is one competition where the main winners are those that get to experience the results. Many many thanks from at least this member.

Thanks

Default Thank you!

Very kind words indeed!
    KDT

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KD Talbot

KDT
    Thanks all for your comments, I'm just happy to share my experience!

Kevin,
    I frequently visit your page, as your photography gives me a wonderful sense of place. The shots you get are well composed, well exposed, and exhibit feeling and emotion behind them. If I'm having an I miss Mt. Washington day, I just pull up a trip report for any of your hikes and with your photography I am right there in the woods again. That's tough to do as well...The goals are at times a bit different, but I envy your results too!
    Last edited by JimS; 10-09-2007 at 02:14 PM.
    "I've learned that everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but that all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."
    ~Andy Rooney

Follow my photography on Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jim-Sa...y/156147782386

Thanks

Default Thanks!

I appreciate the support, but this thread is about your pictures, Jim, and I have to say that all you have posted in this thread are stunning. Coffee Table Book Quality, and I'm real glad you're sharing them!

That aside, your picture of Mount Washington from Sugarloaf has infringed on my copyright and you'll be hearing from my lawyers.

Moonrise from Middle Sugarloaf 10/6/06.

KDT