Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Quiz

Thanks

Default Wow

Not even close with Millinocket! Pittsfield has to be it. People talk about Berlin being the pits, ever been to Pittsfield? or Millinocket for that matter. Berlin looks real nice compared to these two, unless things have changed drastically since i was last there, and I'm pretty sure they haven't. But I'm getting off subject.

KDT

Thanks

I always thought Worcester was pretty high over near the airport.

just looked it up, the airport is at 1007ft
    Last edited by billysinc; 10-15-2007 at 11:21 AM.

Thanks

With no statistics as a basis for my my thoughts , I would say the highest city-- with over 10,000 people-- in NE is Stowe, VT on a holiday weekend!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pete S
    With no statistics as a basis for my my thoughts , I would say the highest city-- with over 10,000 people-- in NE is Stowe, VT on a holiday weekend!
    Any guess on the elevation of Stowe Village?

A mere 750 feet.

I wonder what the most amount of people on the summit of Mount Washington is.

Edit: I just did some double checking and the heart of downtown Pittsfield is really at 1,020 feet. The airport is at 1,160.

If you go to runningmap.com and turn on the elevation feature you can easily find the elevation of any place in the US. Some research into Berlin, NH shows that the heart of downtown is actually over 1,100 feet. But....as of 2006 the population has fallen to under 10,000 people.
    Last edited by Bill O; 10-18-2007 at 10:40 PM.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Default Killington, VT

Way to keep us thinking, Bill!

I guess it comes down to how it's determined where to measure the elevation of a town-- is it a the geographic center, or the main interesection...

A quick look at a topo map of Stowe-- one of the largest towns area wise in VT-- quickly shows that except for the RT 100/ 108 corridor,which both follow rivers, the vast majority of the town is above 1000 ft....

Regardless of the elevation of Stowe, my bet is that the "answer " to Bills question is Killington, VT -- formerly known as Sherburne, VT---on a holiday.The main intersection of RT 4 / 100 is at 1680 ft, and Sherburne village is at 1230 ft. What's a record "population" at Killington???

How is the elevation of a town determined? Only full time residents are counted in the official population---- giving second home / tourist communities " low" poulations...
    Last edited by Pete S; 10-18-2007 at 11:22 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks

Default Re: Quiz

Pittsfield was the first town to pop into my head.

Back in 1962 on the way to climbing Mt. Greylock, I was tracking elevations using a barometer which also had (quite conveniently) a "feet above sea level" scale. You set it at your start, knowing its elevation.

Once up the big hill on Rte. 7 just north of Stockbridge, it hit 1000 feet and stayed around there all the way through Pittsfield and on to the start of the Cheshire Harbor Trail.

BTW, I'm pretty sure Peru, MA, in Berkshire County is one of the, if not the, highest incorporated communities in New England. It's a fun place to visit, having a very different, Edward Hopperish feel to it.
    Why did I climb the mountain? Because I was there.
    - Mak

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pete S
    What's a record "population" at Killington???
    It's gotta be well over 20,000 New Yorkers.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

What is the highest elevation incorporated town in New England? I don't know the answer, but I would guess either Bethlehem or Pittsburg, NH.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike D
    What is the highest elevation incorporated town in New England? I don't know the answer, but I would guess either Bethlehem or Pittsburg, NH.

http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnispub...P3_FID:1459491

Sherburne, VT at 1450' ?
    ~Rich

Thanks

Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012