Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Volunteering

luvNHiker Guest

Default Volunteering

Hello,
    I'm VERY interested in the volunteer program and would like feedback on others who have already experienced a week on the rock pile!!
    Thanks,
    Becky

Thanks

I've never been a volunteer per se, but I have been treated to many of their excellent meals on the summit.

I think its a great experience if you are up for the challenge. The summer is a great time to test your skills as a chef and to see if you can handle a week on the summit. Its much easier to get down if everything goes wrong. And if you are good they might invite you back for a week in the winter. In the winter be prepared to cook large meals for the edutrippers and overnight hiking trips.

When there aren't overnight trips there is plenty of down time for hiking around the summit or staring out the observatory windows.

luvNHiker Guest

thanks, Bill....i've read that your first time is in the summer and i do enjoy cooking very much! It's sounds like it would be such an awesome experience. There is just something about that mountain that I'm attracted to.

Thanks

Default volunteering

I have been a volunteer for 3 years and can vouch for the program. It is a great time. One year Ihad 18 meteorolgy students from Germany. they had such great energy and were always willing to help out. I have been blown across the deck and have had a great time playing ping pong with the staff. A great time to relax, enjoy the weather and experience the world's worst weather.

Thanks

I have volunteered 3 times; once in the summer and twice in winter. I can tell you that you have to be a decent cook. You don't have to be a culinary master, but you do need know how to read a measuring cup. The main crew is very easy; they'll show up at 7 and happily consume any meal you put in front of them. But be prepared to cook for paying visitors, and a lot of them. Feeding 15 people is a lot different than feeding your family, unless you're from a large family.

Steve Hill Guest

Default Volunteeering

Becky,

I have been voluteering since 2001 and have spent 6 full weeks at the OBs and two partial ones. I always have a good time. I have cooked for as few as four and as many as twenty-five. I have skied, hiked, done odd jobs, etc. Most of all I have enjoyed the camraderie provided by the observers, staff and interns. And do not forget the AMC crews at Lakes and or Tuckerman's when you go or they come for a visit.

The views are great. It is a toss up whether or not Cumberland Island National Seashore has better sunrises but I have never seen better sunsets than the ones I have seen from Mount Washington.

Bottom line, I highly recommend it.

Steve

Thanks

Default Stroll in the Snow

Having been a volunteer since the Volunteer program started (a long time ago in a Galaxy far far away...) the Summit is the best place to be in Winter, which as we know runs Spetember until June. How can one describe the joys of jumping into the Yankee snow drift, or taking a stroll on the deck in sustained 100 mph winds in temperatures that will freeze exposed skin in a minute. Don't do this at home kids. Um... should I have written this.... no, I shouldn't have. Drink More Moxie Ayup.

Thanks

what kind of food are you preparing .

i would love to this some day

thanks hawk

Thanks

is there more then one volunteer up there at a time

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hawk
    is there more then one volunteer up there at a time
    Just one volunteer, but they can usually bring a guest/helper. At least that's the way it used to be.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight