Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Yellow X....

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Yellow X....

    Why do one of the OBS deck pavers have a "yellow X: painted on it?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wahiawa, HI
    Posts
    2,359
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dizzymac
    Why do one of the OBS deck pavers have a "yellow X: painted on it?
    I'm not sure but did you notice the cracked one?
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Thomaston, Connect & cut
    Posts
    277
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Default

    Because they didn't have any red paint.
    When you're chewing on life's gristle
    Don't grumble, give a whistle
    And this'll help things turn out for the best. And always look on the bright side of life.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bellingham, Ma / Dubois Wy.
    Posts
    359
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 39 Times in 18 Posts

    Default

    I think that's where Youk's homerun landed from the game last night

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mount Washington, NH
    Posts
    362
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 110 Times in 42 Posts

    Default

    The yellow "X" is where observers are to stand to make an asessment of the horizontal visibility. We stand on the "X" and based on what visibility markers we can see from that spot, we determine and report the visibility in our reports. Now it should be noted that, weather permitting, we walk around the deck and double check what we saw from the "X" especially when we are short (ie: me), rime ice can block our views over the railing at times. It should also be noted that it is mainly for low visibility reporting.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    6,247
    Thanks
    112
    Thanked 398 Times in 250 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Knapper
    The yellow "X" is where observers are to stand to make an asessment of the horizontal visibility. We stand on the "X" and based on what visibility markers we can see from that spot, we determine and report the visibility in our reports. Now it should be noted that, weather permitting, we walk around the deck and double check what we saw from the "X" especially when we are short (ie: me), rime ice can block our views over the railing at times. It should also be noted that it is mainly for low visibility reporting.
    Ah - so being low of stature is good when doing low visibility reporting. What tasks do the tall people get?
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wahiawa, HI
    Posts
    2,359
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    Ah - so being low of stature is good when doing low visibility reporting. What tasks do the tall people get?
    Higher altitude temperature readings!
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mount Washington, NH
    Posts
    362
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 110 Times in 42 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    Ah - so being low of stature is good when doing low visibility reporting. What tasks do the tall people get?
    They get to change our light bulbs, paint the ceilings, remove ceiling tiles, get things off high shelves and get knocked down more easily in higher winds much to my amusements. In all seriousness, this past patriots day nor'easter, Jim and I woke our intern up early because he was a couple inches taller than us which was just enough to deice the instruments without getting injured. So it was found that height does work to ones advantage in deicing.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Thanks for the reply Knapper....now about that cracked paver.....

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    542
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post

    Default

    Working on top of Mt Washington allows short people to feel bigger than the kids that made fun of them in gym class.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •