Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New

Thanks

Default New

Hello,

I'm new here so I don't know if this has been posted before but I figured I'd give it a shot. Here's a little synopsis about me: I recently graduated high school and took a semester off to decide whether I wanted to study meteorology or play soccer in college. The schools I got offers from didn't have atmospheric science or meteorology so I had to choose one or the other. Eventually, I realized my love for the weather was greater and would be more beneficial, in my opinion, than playing soccer. Now my question is whether there are opportunities, like observing on the top of Mt. Washington, for those who are only high school grads? I am taking classes in the spring at a local college and transferring into the Meteorology program at Rutgers University in the fall. However in the mean time, I'm looking to get a jump start and some experience under my belt. I was a very successful student in high school and was wondering if there were jobs, similar to those on Mt. Washington (not necessarily as severe), for people like myself. Any information or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and look forward to getting to know some of you!

Chris

Thanks

You should look into a summer internship on the summit. I'm guessing all the winter positions are filled, but it would be worth your time to explore MWO's website.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Observing on top of Mt Washington does require a college degree. Meteorology, Information Technology and related disciplines are most beneficial.

An internship at the Observatory is an excellent way to work at the summit before graduation. It can also give you an opportunity to prove yourself, which can lead to a full-time Observer job after graduation.

http://www.mountwashington.org/about/jobs/intern.php

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike D
    Observing on top of Mt Washington does require a college degree. Meteorology, Information Technology and related disciplines are most beneficial.

An internship at the Observatory is an excellent way to work at the summit before graduation. It can also give you an opportunity to prove yourself, which can lead to a full-time Observer job after graduation.

http://www.mountwashington.org/about/jobs/intern.php
    It would seem that most of the observers on Mt Washington stay for a short duration before moving on to other prospects. Is this sort of thing intentional or just coincidence?
    Edit: Also, How much IT course work is recommended and which courses? I am looking to take some to satisfy my electives.
    Last edited by Steve M; 10-23-2007 at 01:31 PM.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Are there any types of similar activities, not neccessarily at Mt. Washington, for those not currently enrolled in a Meteorology or IT program? If not, I guess I'll have to wait until I get to Rutgers next year or something. Thanks!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WSR88D
    It would seem that most of the observers on Mt Washington stay for a short duration before moving on to other prospects. Is this sort of thing intentional or just coincidence?
    Edit: Also, How much IT course work is recommended and which courses? I am looking to take some to satisfy my electives.
    It has to do with the job description. Living in a bunkroom is only cool for so long. I think the quality of the products coming from the summit will greatly improve if MWO can reduce their turnover.

Not that they are bad now, its just that everytime you lose an expert from the summit you take a small step backwards.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by airmarci9o0
    Are there any types of similar activities, not neccessarily at Mt. Washington, for those not currently enrolled in a Meteorology or IT program? If not, I guess I'll have to wait until I get to Rutgers next year or something. Thanks!
    By "similar activities" I assume you mean resume building material. I suggest doing some hiking in the Whites and first-aid training if you can get it. Those are some of the "intangibles" that will help you get on the intern->observer track. Also, summer interns spend a couple hours a day working in our museum shop, so retail experience and interfacing with the public helps.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WSR88D
    It's difficult to build and maintain a family life while working the 8-days-on/6-days-off schedule. The Observers tend to be recent college grads looking to build experience in a unique workplace. Once the social pressures kick in (marriage, kids, grad school) they often leave.

The IT demands at the Obs are diverse, so just about any course will be useful to some degree. If you can back it up with work experience that's even better. Knowledge of TCP/IP networking, computer hardware, database administration, as well as desktop and server operating systems is very helpful.

Thanks

It's difficult to build and maintain a family life while working the 8-days-on/6-days-off schedule. The Observers tend to be recent college grads looking to build experience in a unique workplace. Once the social pressures kick in (marriage, kids, grad school) they often leave.
    after 20 years of marriage i don't think see will mined getting rid of me for a week at a time ,but i would have to bring Rosie with me see would not be able to make it a week with out me
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill O
    It has to do with the job description. Living in a bunkroom is only cool for so long. I think the quality of the products coming from the summit will greatly improve if MWO can reduce their turnover.

Not that they are bad now, its just that everytime you lose an expert from the summit you take a small step backwards.

The IT demands at the Obs are diverse, so just about any course will be useful to some degree. If you can back it up with work experience that's even better. Knowledge of TCP/IP networking, computer hardware, database administration, as well as desktop and server operating systems is very helpful.
    Thanks for the replies. I registered for spring semester for Java web Programming. Has anyone taken this course and if so how hard is it? I'm asking because with working and taking this class and Calc II and not having been in school for 10 years I don't want to bury myself the first semester I'm back.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???