Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A NH waterbar in PA?!

Thanks

Live Free or Die!

I DO love that you're spreading the New Hampshire way...a much better looking, much more functional waterbar indeed!

...I might be a little biased, but NH truly is the greatest state in the country. We can only hope that as it gets more press (being voted the most livable state in the Union for two straight years), the tourists learn to respect the land and the people instead of just touring it.Nothing gets me quite as raspy as a broken bag of trash scattered across the Kank or the parkway...
    Matthew I. Stearns
    NH Native

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stearnzie
    Live Free or Die!

I DO love that you're spreading the New Hampshire way...a much better looking, much more functional waterbar indeed!
    I've seen them put in place with the bark still on. Always remove the bark as it will last twice as long.
    ~Rich

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stearnzie
    Live Free or Die!

...I might be a little biased, but NH truly is the greatest state in the country. We can only hope that as it gets more press (being voted the most livable state in the Union for two straight years), the tourists learn to respect the land and the people instead of just touring it.Nothing gets me quite as raspy as a broken bag of trash scattered across the Kank or the parkway...
    I totally agree NH is the greatest!
    You are not being biased, just realistic, truthful, and honest! There are others, I'm sure, who've lived in other states for a period of time(unfortunately) and would vouch for the fact that when it comes to hiking and trail maintenance, few states have it down like NH does. Sure, there is a lot of different organizations and red tape to deal with even in NH but the experience, attitude, and help of hundreds of volunteers like NH enjoys seperates it from others. Natives of NH,in my opinion and experience,take great pride in taking care of matters themselves, especially when it comes to their native soil. It is a unique relationship. The other 2 states I have had to live in and their interest groups spend more time arguing instead of getting stuff done. OK, that's human nature, you see it everywhere. But you can talk, or do.
    The hope of spreading the NH way is that others can see how easily it can be done. NH tradition says do it right the first time, and taking care of the trail afterwards will be much easier. If people can see how much you enjoy the work you do than the pride is understandable and hopefully motivational. Of course, those of us from NH understand.
    True, seeing trash drives me up a wall too. I'm happy to say that while doing our trips to maintain Osseo Trail along the Pemi this year we found less trash than last year.
    LIVE FREE OR DIE

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rich
    I've seen them put in place with the bark still on. Always remove the bark as it will last twice as long.
    Yea, most definitely. I got lucky with this one. It was a windfall that was still relatively new, but all the bark had fallen off. I believe it was, in part, due to its being suspended off the ground where it fell. I still had my drawshave with me just in case. Its an antique from an old trail maintainer given to me. Its not always easy finding a good log to use, I hauled this one quite aways and although I had my drawshave, I'd forgotten my pulp hook at home. Oh well, if someone had seen me with it anyway they would have thought it quite strange. Believe me mister man, try finding those tools down here. Thank goodness Labonville is on-line, pulp hook, cantdog or peavy, you might as well speak in gibberish down here. That way if I can't get my stuff when I'm up there I can get it delivered.

Thanks

Nice to see some renegade waterbar building...looks like a good build, and a great sign. Nice post!
    "I've learned that everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but that all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."
    ~Andy Rooney

Follow my photography on Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jim-Sa...y/156147782386

Thanks

well Said, Fisher Cat -

I think that many of us feel like NH has a certain way about it, a sort of cooperative ownership that focuses on accomplishing the goal at hand...but I'd also share that there is emperical proof - NH's volunteer "rate" has increased in a big way since the 80s

http://www.nationalservice.gov/pdf/V...s_national.pdf

pretty cool...and we still have room for growth in this measurment!

I've only lived in NH, and I'll be damned if I've visited a state that I'd rather live in...okay, [I]maybe[I] Maine...a big maybe
    Matthew I. Stearns
    NH Native

Thanks

That's a great link stearnzie, very informative and definitely proves a point. No one takes care of NH like people from NH and I think that's the way we like it.
    While I am not a member of the AMC I have to admit that in NH they provide enough insight and training (and the opportunity to do so) so that virtually anyone can be a volunteer trailworker and join the Adopt-a-Trail that they sponsor, plus they make it available to anyone, you don't have to join the AMC. That proves a point, that you can put politics and feelings aside for the greater issue, which is the state and trails of NH.
    Believe me, such simplification for a greater cause is hard to find elsewhere.