Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Washburn Photographs

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    #8 shows the old hotel building on the summit. I can remember as a kid looking at the chains bolted in the rock going over the roof to hold it down!
    The Stage Office is like that now. Although I wonder what would happen if the wind got so strong that the chains were really needed. Wouldn't the building crumble and blow away despite the chains? I guess we'll never know until we get another 231 gust without a foot of rime to reinforce the structures.

Thanks

My favorite is the pic that is up right outside of the stateside entrance to the obs room (last volunteer trip it was there, at least) - it shows the Bonds with Washington looming in the background - it's so unbelievable, I found myself wondering if the picture was half-photography/half-painting...truly unbelievable work. I shoot a lot in black and white despite my initial trepidations about people seeing my work as a carbon of Washburn or Ansel Adams...there is still an infinant number of beautiful things to shoot in B&W in this world -- in NH even!
    Matthew I. Stearns
    NH Native

Thanks

This is way off topic in regards to photography, but has anyone here read the book "Forever on the Mountain" by James M. Tabor? It recounts the tragedy that befell a group of climbers using the Muldrow Glacier to ascend Denali in 1967. In it, there is a bit mentioned about Bradford Washburn and some dialogues he and a member of the Wilcox expedition, namely Joe Wilcox, had. If you have read this account, you will know what I am talking about and if not, you ....well, you won't really have the foggiest. It is not my intention to throw any negative light on a great man such as Bradford Washburn, but it is interesting to read about certain aspects of that 1967 tragedy and how Washburn and Don Sheldon were connected with it.
    Last edited by iceclimber; 09-25-2008 at 09:00 PM. Reason: wording.
    "Commitment is doing the thing you said you'd do, long after the mood you said it in has left you." - Bear Grylls' mother

Thanks

Thanks for bringing this thread back from the dead. Those pics are absolutely gorgeous!!!
    Diane
    Summit Club Member

Give me the outdoors, and I will show you the world!!

Thanks

If you are in the vicinity of Highland Center you should stop in and see their Washburn exhibit.

Thayer Hall, next to the Highland Lodge, currently features a display of mountain photography by Bradford Washburn. An audio tour brings the images to life, offering personal anecdotes and commentary from Washburn himself about the larger than life images of Mont Blanc, Mt. McKinley, the Matterhorn, Tuckerman Ravine and Mt. Washington hanging on the walls.
    We've been through this exhibit several times in the last year or so and it is more incredible every time. The photos are all in the order of 4'x5' or larger and the detail is just amazing.
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Default Tip-Top House

Or, if you're on the summit before things close up, drop into the Tip-Top House where there is a good collection of them as well.

KDT

Thanks

Alright, if you don't want a tarnished image of both bradford washburn and Don Sheldon, don't read "forever on the mountain" by James M. Tabor. There are always 2 sides to every coin (so to speak), but I find the pre-judgment these two made on the expedition that this book is about just plain unnecessary.
    "Commitment is doing the thing you said you'd do, long after the mood you said it in has left you." - Bear Grylls' mother

Thanks

Default Photos of mountains.......

I got a look at the Washburn Gallery site - very impressive, but I'd love something showing off the fall colors. Does anyone know of a New Hampshire photographer that specializes in panoramic mountain photography. I'm trying to find a nice photograph of either Mt. Chocorua or Mt. Liberty. I've tried the web search, but am coming up with very limited photos.

Thanks,

CK

Thanks

these are beautiful. I am new to this blog. My name is kellie gibson and I am a beach portrait and wedding photographer in wilmington, nc. I have only been doing photography professionally for two and a half years. I would love to order one of those photos. Can you do that?

Thanks

Kellie,

Welcome to this forum and we look forward to seeing your pictures. I do believe you can order copies of Brad Washburn's photos but I would have to wander around the web site to see how.

I used to work in Raleigh and loved to go to Elijah's on the river there in Wilmington for dinner. Good seafood!
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012