Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Washburn Photographs

Thanks

Default Washburn Photographs

You can view the Washburn Gallery by clicking here:
    http://www.washburngallery.org/

Encapsulating Bradford Washburn’s career is a difficult task...rather like putting Mount McKinley into a bell jar. The sweep of a career spanning over 60 years, lived with intensity and commitment, captures the imagination. Washburn is America’s foremost field cartographer; he has climbed, mapped, and photographed the great mountain ranges of the world including Mount Everest, Mount McKinley, and New England’s Presidential Range. He is a special authority on the Alaska Range.

From the beginning, he has shared his insights, discoveries, and information with others as a writer, photographer, and filmmaker. Bradford Washburn and his wife Barbara, the first woman to climb Mount McKinley, have also been the subjects of numerous articles in LIFE, National Geographic, and American Photographer, among others. His maps of McKinley, Everest, and Washington are the definitive maps of their great peaks; his personal advice is still sought out by young climbers before they tackle such challenges as McKinley and Everest.

Bradford Washburn’s love of climbing began at an early age. In 1921, when he was eleven, he and a cousin climbed Mount Washington, New Hampshire. Two years later, taking along his new Best Pocket Kodak camera, he made a winter ascent of Mount Chocorua, New Hampshire with his father and brother. By the time he entered Harvard in 1929, Washburn had climbed Mount Blanc, Monte Rosa, and the Matterhorn in Europe; published the books, Among the Alps with Bradford Washburn, and Bradford on Mount Washington, in a G.P. Putman’s Sons’ series, Boys’ Books for Boys as well as several articles and a guide book to the White Mountains; worked on a 35mm movie in the Alps; lectured publicly on the Alpine climbs; and had begun to use a large format camera to record the mountain landscape. The large format, Fairchild K-6 camera projected images on a 8" x 10" negative which in turn produced incredibly detailed enlarged photographs.

Washburn’s life has maintained the momentum he established in the 1920s. Throughout his long career, he has accomplished many firsts in the fields of mountaineering and photography. Today, we take for granted long plane flights at high altitudes, radio communication between climbers, equipment air-drops, skiplane landings on glaciers, and pristine, high altitude photographs. In the 1930s and 1940s, when Bradford Washburn was first setting records, these techniques were untried and often extremely dangerous.

Dr. Washburn currently serves as a Life Trustee of the Mount Washington Observatory. Recently Brad and his wife Barbara donated their collection of White Mountain Photographs to the Observatory.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bravocharlie For This Useful Post:

ciprian21 (11-30-2012), csollano29 (03-01-2013), nlhnam (12-31-2012)

Thanks

Default Washburn Celebrated at GSA Meeting

People reading this thread might be interested in knowing that the Annual Meeting of the Geological Society of America, in Philadelphia, October 22-25, included a special session that celebrated Washburn's 96th Birthday. He and his wife were to be present, but couldn't make the trip. I attended part of the session. It lasted all morning and began with a presentation on Washburn's life by Mike Sfraga, from the University of Alaska. It included a nice account of Washburn's beginnings on Mount Washington. It was of particular interest to me because I spent much of my childhood and early adult life hiking in the Whites, including Mount Washington, and worked on the Cog from 1979 to 1982. Sometime during that period, I recall bringing Washburn to the summit. We carried his equipment on the back of the tender.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to r0ckdoc For This Useful Post:

ciprian21 (11-30-2012)

Thanks

Default Washburn Print

I got me a 24x40 framed Washburn last night at the MWO fundraiser in Portland. I'd link you to the picture I bid on, but it's not in the gallery. I was surprised to not be outbid on the photo. John Lind took home a huge one, too big for my house! You may recall he built the cabinets in the conference room, or maybe you've seen his name somewhere? The fundraiser was great and featured a live feed from the summit with Charlie Lopresti, Jim Salge, Ryan Knapp and Nin. They raised over $30,000.00. It was great to see Peter Crane, Virginia Moore, Maryann Guerreri, Susan Beane, Mike Davidson and Scott Henley, among others.
    KDT

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bravocharlie
    You can view the Washburn Gallery by clicking here:
    http://www.washburngallery.org/
    These are really nice photos.
    The black & white gives them a mysterious look.
    "HIKE THE WHITES"

......Support
    ....T*A*P*S*
    http://www.taps.org/

Please Support The MWO

www.joes-hiking-photos.com

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Joey Keyz For This Useful Post:

ciprian21 (11-30-2012)

Thanks

My favorite is the one that shows the Auto Road.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Default Washburn

The one I took home shows the mountain approaching from the southwest. It shows Mounts Franklin, Little Monroe, Monroe, Washington, Clay, Jefferson, Adams and Madison. My favorite picture of his on the website (that I hope to have someday) is the veiw over Webster Cliff. We like to bivvy at the summit of those cliffs on Mount Webster.
    KDT

Thanks

Default Washburns

As todays comments suggest, if you haven't had time to check out the Washburn Gallery yet, make the time. You will be glad you did.

http://washburngallery.org/

KDT

Thanks

My favorites are pics 38 and 39. Lots of snow!!
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

#54 is my favorite.

So much so, that I bought the 40x30 version. It is the envy of everyone who visits my living room.

Thanks

#8 shows the old hotel building on the summit. I can remember as a kid looking at the chains bolted in the rock going over the roof to hold it down!
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012