Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A few questions on winter hiking.

Thanks

Default Chocorua

Chocorua is an excellent way to get some winter climbing experience. I've done the Piper Trail in winter and it is a great hike. You are below treeline and protected from the west until the last few hundred yards. If you're there in the wind it will give you some idea of what being on Washington can be like, and you can get down out of the wind easily whereas on Washington you can't. The craggy summit cone is usually scoured of ice and snow, but there may be patches you have to cross to summit, so you may or may not get a chance to use crampons.

If considering Carrigain keep in mind you will have to hike in on Sawyer Road adding considerable distance and time to the hike. I still think if you are interested in getting some winter, above-treeline experience the Southern Presidentials are the best place to learn. The Pierce-Eisenhower Loop will give you a feel for most things you will encounter in a less harsh environment than Washington.

KDT

Thanks

Default Mt Washington in winter

Quote Originally Posted by Acrophobe
    Well, after thinking about it, and listening to a lot of the advice posted here, I think I'll forego the Washington ascent this winter and instead try Chocorua via Piper trail and maybe Carrigain instead. No need to add to an already long list of incidents because of inexperience. Perhaps next year when I've got a few winter climbs under my belt...

Anyways, thank you all for your patience and advice. I know rank amatuers like me must be kinda annoying.
    I don't think you're annoying at all. You just need some experienced company for your first time up Mt Washington in the winter.

If everyone approached winter mountaineering with caution, research, and the seeking of advice that you are doing here, there would be far fewer incidents in the mountains needing rescue or worse yet recovery. We were all in your shoes at some point in time. KD sums up all our thoughts nicely in his post. I think all of us share the same love of the mountains and the desire to help others enjoy them safely and responsibly.

Also MK10 makes a great point - about reaching the summit should not be the be all end all goal - I've turned back many times at treeline or at Lion Head beacuase of poor conditions - but still had a great experience. Climbing a mountain is like a multi-course meal - there's much to be enjoyed along the way. Returning safely though is always the most important goal.

As a footnote:

I usually make a trip north with my family during the winter to do some Mt Washington climbing with my son(who's not much older than you). If I do so this winter I'll pm you - perhaps we can hook up.
    Tim

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by climbabout
    I don't think you're annoying at all. You just need some experienced company for your first time up Mt Washington in the winter.

If everyone approached winter mountaineering with caution, research, and the seeking of advice that you are doing here, there would be far fewer incidents in the mountains needing rescue or worse yet recovery. We were all in your shoes at some point in time. KD sums up all our thoughts nicely in his post. I think all of us share the same love of the mountains and the desire to help others enjoy them safely and responsibly.

Also MK10 makes a great point - about reaching the summit should not be the be all end all goal - I've turned back many times at treeline or at Lion Head beacuase of poor conditions - but still had a great experience. Climbing a mountain is like a multi-course meal - there's much to be enjoyed along the way. Returning safely though is always the most important goal.

As a footnote:

I usually make a trip north with my family during the winter to do some Mt Washington climbing with my son(who's not much older than you). If I do so this winter I'll pm you - perhaps we can hook up.
    Tim

very good advice and to all be safe up there so you can enjoy it another day .

and also so you can make it back to post your pictures
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Thanks

Here are pictures from a great day in February when I hiked back into Tuckermans Ravine. I was solo but I knew with the excellent weather there would be others out there. Pick your day right and that hike can be loads of fun.

http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstre...02_tuckermans/
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    Here are pictures from a great day in February when I hiked back into Tuckermans Ravine. I was solo but I knew with the excellent weather there would be others out there. Pick your day right and that hike can be loads of fun.

http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstre...02_tuckermans/
    Nice pics. Maybe I should plan a late winter or early spring trip to enjoy that.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Spectacular photographs, Brad. Looking at that headwall, I can't imagine skiing down that. Must be an awful lot of snow there, though - I remember Tuckerman's as being a field of car sized boulders - not exactly a comfortable ride down.

This is about the closest to winter mountain pictures I have.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...onolithIII.jpg

Also, that would be great, climbabout. Like I said, I'd go with my dad, but, well, he took four hours to climb it in summer.

Thanks

Yes, great pics. Looks like a prefect day. We summited yesterday. The perfect weather as well. Nice and windy coming over Lionshead.
    Think Snow

Thanks

Thumbs up what a wealth of info in this thread!!!!

Anyone that is looking to do a winter ascent of Washington, this thread has covered ALL bases. The info here is amazing and it goes to show how the more experienced climbers are always willing to share what they know. I myself having done a few solo winter climbs up Washington would not recommend it. As Tim says one thing goes wrong and you are on your own. Washington in winter is brutal and it is not forgiving. The best way to climb the rock pile in the winter is with a group of friends or a guided group. Eastern Mountain Sports climbing school has some incredible guides that take people up all winter. Let them teach you and then as has been done with this thread pass on the knowledge. Good luck in your winter climbs.