Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New panos with experimental viewer

Thanks

For Acrophobe who wrote

"Another Edit: Those backhoes look so incredibly out of place against that stunning backdrop. Obviously, they needed them to build that building up there, but you don't really think about that. How did they get them up there? Surely tractor trailors can't get up the auto road?"

Yes, indeedy, they can and do get up there! Trick is that they do it either before or after the road closes, which during operating season for the Auto Road, is pretty much in early EARLY morning or AFTER DARK. There can be no other traffic present. Heavy equipment is trucked up, vast amounts of fuel ( the big tankers, not your home delivery truck) to fill the "tank farm", and a BIG Honey Wagon goes up to clear the holding tanks.

This fall the 6 mile was paved, starting the day after the road closed for the season, which meant trucking the paver, the roller and all the asphalt up. There were 5 dump trucks trucking asphalt, needing 4 ( sometimes 5) flaggers to get them up and down the mountain ALL day long, holding trucks in a couple of places where they could park out of the way to make room for each other. I think there were about 20 ( + or- a couple) loads of asphalt laid on Monday ( 10/22) and that many more on Tuesday (10/23).

For all the folks who work on top, having the 6 mile paved will be pretty spiffy in the spring as it will be one less mile of mud, ruts, and washouts to negotiate.

I know there are some folks who think the Auto Road and the Cog are abominations, AND should go away, but MWOBS would never have happened without transport to the summit, and it certainly wouldn't survive without both.

Breeze

Thanks

I converted the panos to the Flash Zoomify player, listed in this thread...

http://www.mountwashington.org/forum...ead.php?t=2203

Kirk

Thanks

As always, very impressive work.

I was looking at some of the interior panos. How do you get the light so even? You managed to capture a huge range of light from interior shadows to the bright outdoors. I would have guessed the outdoors would have been blown out form the bright light.

I ask because someday I am going to sell my condo and I have massive 5x10' windows. I'd love to shoot panos like that, but I want the light to be even.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

I sometimes shoot bracketed (low/med/high contrast) which is what HDR shots use. Then I can pull the windows from one shot back into another so they're not blown out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill O
    As always, very impressive work.

I was looking at some of the interior panos. How do you get the light so even? You managed to capture a huge range of light from interior shadows to the bright outdoors. I would have guessed the outdoors would have been blown out form the bright light.

I ask because someday I am going to sell my condo and I have massive 5x10' windows. I'd love to shoot panos like that, but I want the light to be even.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spyboy
    I sometimes shoot bracketed (low/med/high contrast) which is what HDR shots use. Then I can pull the windows from one shot back into another so they're not blown out.
    Very nice! Thanks for sharing your work with us.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???