Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NIN's Leaving????

Thanks

Talking NIN's Leaving????

I just heard on GMA that NIN has 2 weeks left on the mountain. He is going to live with a family down in the valley. I was wondering if there is a replacement for NIN. If there is that will be some big paws to fill!!

Thanks

Uh oh ... the cat is out of the bag ... so to speak!

I'm sure there will be details to follow...
    "I've learned that everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but that all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."
    ~Andy Rooney

Follow my photography on Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jim-Sa...y/156147782386

Thanks

Hu? I've always enjoyed seeing NIN when when I climb to the summit. Sort of like going to visit an old friend.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JimS
    Uh oh ... the cat is out of the bag ... so to speak!

I'm sure there will be details to follow...
    Jim, you beat me to the "pun" about the cat being let out of the bag... I saw them mention Nin's retirement on TV and knew that there would be some discussion here this morning!

Yes, Nin will be retiring after a brilliant career on the summit. His health has been shaky lately and recently had his last teeth removed after an infection. He seems to be doing fine right now, but we want to do the most humane thing for him and the best thing for the Obs operationally. We are very happy that two of his biggest fans and closest friends have welcomed the opportunity to take him in sometime in December. Nin will be moving down off the mountain to live with Mike and Diane from Mt. Washington State Park.

So that left us with a very big decision to make. Cat or no cat? It quickly became clear to me and the Obs senior staff that having a pet on the summit makes it feel more like home. Our summit crew literally spends half their lives on the summit, away from their own homes, in what can be a very stark, lonely environment. Their opinion was unanimous-- they wanted a cat.

We weighed the bad and good and have decided to carry on the tradition of having a summit cat, a tradition that dates all the way back to the beginning of the Observatory. So we'll soon be working with the Conway Area Humane Society (who have generously offered to donate a new feline friend) on locating the heir to Nin's throne at 6,288 feet.

I hope you all enjoyed the GMA broadcast. It was an amazing logistical challenge and I think it really worked out great. I am so proud of our entire crew.

Scot
    MWO Executive Director

Thanks

I assume you rescue an older cat and not a kitten, so they're already litter trained and comfortable around people (and have seen snow!)

Kirk

Thanks

How old IS Nin? Does anyone know?
    I know he's been there a while, as I've seen him for several years as I stop in now and then . . .
    It will be a sad day . . .
    . . . but good to know that he has a caring place to live out the rest of his life - kind of like a "kitty assisted living" . . .
    Thanks are in order to Mike and Dianne!!
    Nin, we will miss you . . .
    but anxiously await the newest feline to ascend the throne . . .

Thanks

Last time I saw NIN he still had two or three teeth left. I wish him & his new caretakers all the best.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Trekker
    How old IS Nin? Does anyone know?
    I know he's been there a while, as I've seen him for several years as I stop in now and then . . .
    It will be a sad day . . .
    . . . but good to know that he has a caring place to live out the rest of his life - kind of like a "kitty assisted living" . . .
    Thanks are in order to Mike and Dianne!!
    Nin, we will miss you . . .
    but anxiously await the newest feline to ascend the throne . . .
    IF I remember correctly He is 17 yrs old.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

when i was up last summer for a EDU trip it was nice to see Nin up there and how Nin made every one feel like it was a home up there .so it is nice to hear that there will be a new friend up there .
    hope you will have a big going away party and put it on obs cast for all of us to see .
    we will miss Nin
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Thanks

My kids will miss Nin too! I'm glad they got to meet him. They are gonna miss Nin's notes also. Hopefully the new feline will be a ham for the lime light as Nin is.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???