Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Volunteer 11/21/-11/28/07

Thanks

Default Red

Yeah, I've caught him with his nose up on the counter, but he's been a good boy so far. It's nice to have a "real" dog around. My little dog at home is a very fussy eater, I've never seen anything like her. She'll turn up her nose at food just like a cat. Shnub. Just like the comic strip Mutts. Red, on the other hand, came and put his head in my lap while I was peeling butternut squash. He looked so forlorn, I had to give him a piece of rind. I figured he'd sniff it and give up, but he wanted more, like potato chips. I didn't give him much, and later he had some potato peels. When I threw the rest in the trash he looked at me like, "What are you doing? I'll eat that!" I had to explain that was pig food, not dog food. He didn't look convinced.

KDT

Thanks

Red ...forlorn? With those bouncing eyebrows? Oh Yeah. Please. I know that look. Love on him for me, anyway. I'm a big sap.

Happy Thanksgiving to the Summit Crew.

Does Tank belong to T-bone of the WMC crew? Those guys were a hoot and a holler all summer. A most personable and FUN group of hard working go-getters.

Dang didn't they work their butts off to get that project done this early, I didn't think their completion date was expected until sometime in the Spring of 2008. I'm glad they brought the project in for all of you up there.

My turn to get the goods on the table.

Breeze

Thanks

Default Turkey

Thanksgiving dinner is eaten, we're all cleaned up. Thanks to Karen Hemeon for the excellent pies! Chris from the State Park joined us. He had some help carving the turkey.

KDT

Thanks

This was before Nin decided to play with the food on MY plate!

KD-like the picture of the group, I believe that is one of three pictures in existence where I don't look terrible!
    While most of us sleep, an agile few create history in the night. -Robert Silverberg, Roma Eterna

Thanks

Default Pictures from this morning

I took a short stroll around the summit this morning. Temps were between 0 and 5 degrees, winds 40 to 50 MPH, windchills 25-30 below. Nice! I even ran into a few hikers!

Our windows provided no view this morning.

Rime has covered the Stage Office.

This shot is from the top of Tuckerman Ravine Trail just before you hit the parking lot.

The Carter Range and Wildcat Ski Area.

More later.
    KDT

Thanks

Sounds like you are having the time of your life keeping man and beast satisfied. Great pics. Keep em coming!
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Default Sunrise

It is right precious to behold
    The first long surf of climbing light
    Flood all the thirsty east with gold.
    - James Russell Lowell

I know people get sick of looking at sunrise/sunset pictures, but I will never get sick of watching the sunrise from the summit of Mount Washington. I think everyone should endeavor to at least once in their life see the sunrise or set from the top of New England.

I was greeted with this pre-dawn view of Nelson Crag as I stepped out into the -5 temp, 60 MPH winds and -40 windchills to take these pictures.

Mounts Adams and Madison bask in the alpenglow of sunrise.

As the sun rises in the east, the full moon sinks into the "Belt of Venus" behind the Observatory tower.

What better place to watch the man in the moon lay his head down to sleep?

Mount Jefferson wraps up in a cozy blanket of clouds.

KDT

Thanks

Default Sunset/Moonrise

Today, 11/25 has been another read a good book, cook a good meal type of day here on the summit. Winds outside have been around 70 MPH all day with the peak gust being around 85. I was out on the deck for that and it blew my 210 lbs around a little bit. It didn't knock me down, but I wouldn't have wanted to be bouncing around on the rocks above treeline. Visibility has been about 50-60' all day and temps have actually warmed up to 13F. The wind chill is only -15 right now, balmy compared to parts of yesterday and the day before.

Because of the lack of visibility all day I have no new pictures, so you'll have to settle for some from yesterday at sunset. Yesterday was an amazing day to me, it was the only day so far I have been able to get outside and see anything. I've been outside everyday, but the visibility has been zilch. At daybreak I witnessed the sunrise while the full moon set, almost simultaneously. At sunset it was the complete reverse, again, almost simultaneous. Here are some shots:

Looking north to the Mahoosucs, Mahoosuc Notch can be seen in the left center.

Montalban Ridge to the south. Mounts Isolation and Davis can be seen along this ridge.

Shot of the rime ice on a post near the summit.

Moonrise over Mount Moriah. Nelson Crag is in the foreground.

KDT

Thanks

Default Sunset 11/25/07

Winds died down to 50mph and temps stayed in the mid-teens when I went out just before sunset. I really didn't expect to see anything, so when I saw a golden orb trying to break through the fog, I got ready and I was lucky enough to get a few shots over the next half hour before the summit was engulfed in fog once again.

Setting sun over the Crawford Path.

For a moment, the veil is lifted.

Mount Adams makes the backdrop for the Observatory tower at sunset.

KDT

Thanks

Some questions for you:

- When there is an EduTrip where do all the extra people sleep?

- When the GMA folks were up, where did they stay, have meals and sleep?
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012