Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2nd hike

Thanks

Ah, you're missing the best part of Washington. Last time I was there, we met a feller from Switzerland. Land of 15 k foot mountains, and he comes here to climb. Obviously, I'm sure he was just in the area for other reasons, but still....

I've done Tuckerman's, of course, and Lion Head, and Jewell, and a couple others, but Huntington was the most fun.

Thanks

Like you, Brad, I've hiked Mt. Washington for over 30 years and had never been on the Huntington Ravine trail. I decided, this past summer, that it was time. I had been eyeing it the last few times I'd been up there, and was excited by the thought of it. I can honestly say it's one intense trail!! Probably the most difficult approach I know to the summit of Mt. Washington. Fascinating - exciting - gorgeous - breath-taking - these are some of the adjectives I'd use to describe it. As for these folks, on their second attempt - I wouldn't recommend it. If "I" were to take them, I'd go up the Jewell Trail - (I also took THAT trail this past summer on a different trip) and round trip down the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail - with a stay at the Lakes of the Clouds hut. BEAUTIFUL views, from all along the Gulfside Trail, out into the Great Gulf . . .
    I know, a lot of people do that loop in reverse - going UP the Ammonoosuc and down the Jewell, but, honestly, I prefer it the other way around.
    Good luck folks . . . ultimately ANY trail up Mt. Washington is a good trail - just BEING there is good!

Thanks

Smile

Thank you all for your advice, but if anyone else has any more input it would be appreciated. Thanks again

Thanks

Default 2nd hike

Gail - Trekker's suggestions are right on the money. I have been on both trails he speaks of. Perhaps you can tell us what you are looking for in your next hike - that would be helpful in our suggestions. Tuckermans is probably the shortest route to the summit. Most other trails will either be harder or longer. I have taken every trail to the summit (except the great gulf trail - I have only traveled it as far as Spaulding Lake) , so I may be of some help to you - as would many of the other members. The Jewell trail is probably the most gradual ascent to the top, with no steep sections that I can recall. The Ammo trail is moderately steep in sections and travels over some slabby spots, so it might be a bit tricky to descend in wet conditions.
    Tim

Thanks

climbabout, thanks I think me and my husband will try the jewell trail next. Also what month in the summer is the best for hiking Mount Washington you think.

Thanks

I prefer August, not too humid (for the most part), some cooler mornings(if you start early), and it warms up by mid-morning(for the most part)! How's that for a sure thing? Oh, and we usually aim for late August!
    "LIVE FREE OR DIE...DEATH IS NOT THE WORST OF ALL EVILS." Gen. John Stark. "by reason of much foule weather and Extreme Bad Woods to travel in..." From the letter of my Great Uncle, Samuel Willard (accompanied by my grandfather Henry), to Governor Dummer on August 16, 1725, explaining the reason for his return, being instructed to "range all the country", of the Wawobadenik (White Mountains) July 19-August 16, 1725. I am a 13th generation New Englander and proud of it.

Thanks

Rarely have I done MW in June - but there is nothing wrong with it. The weather can be more winter than summer that month. I do July and August - and early September all the time. Pick a day based on the forecast and it is wonderful any of those months.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

I tried May one year and I ended up not due to the weather. May can also be a tough month above tree line.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Bad weather can occur anytime during the year, but July and august give you perhaps the best chance of decent weather.
    Tim