Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Climbing Washington in Fall and winter

Thanks

Default navigating mw in winter

Here's my waypoints as stored on my gps for the Lion Head winter route to the summit: 1- Orange sign at treeline on the Lion Head Winter Route - elev4615 n44deg 15.869m/w71deg 17.134m 2- Lion Head elev5387 n44deg 15.934m/w71deg 17.650m 3- junction with alpine garden trail elev5449 n44deg 15.902m/w71deg 17.743m 4- split rock elev5625 n44deg 15.954m/w71deg 18.087m 5- lower parking lot elev6180 n44deg 16.173m/w71deg 18.120m 6- summit elev6288 n44deg 16.248m/ w 71deg 18.208m. So much for technology - from my somewhat less accurate but reliable Suunto compass I have an approximate bearing of 105deg from tr trail junction to alpine garden trail junction to lion head to the orange sign at treeline. Approximate at best and not much use in a whiteout - but better than nothing. Keep in mind when descending, you have the Raymond Cataract on your left which is a jumble of krummholz and probably filled with snow, and Tuckerman Ravine to your right - if you can keep heading downhill between and avoiding those 2 unmistakeable features, you have a good chance of finding the winter route in bad conditions. Keep in mind as I mentioned in my previous post, I never continue uphill in marginal conditions, it usually gets worse the higher you go - but I have the above info with me as insurance in case conditions turn bad unexpectedly as they often do. There's no shame in turning back and living to enjoy the mountains another day.
    Climbabout
    Last edited by climbabout; 01-22-2007 at 07:03 PM.

Thanks

Default gps coordinates

Thanks. I couldn't answer these questions, but I would like to point out-

The Lion Head Summer Trail is still open. The Summer Trail crosses an avalanche prone slope that has not developed as of yet. The Winter Route is not built for travel without adequate snow cover, so although we are in winter, please help keep the Winter Route in good shape by using the Summer Trail.

This is taken from todays avalanche posting on-

http://www.tuckerman.org/avalanche/index.html

KDT

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KD Talbot

The Lion Head Summer Trail is still open. The Summer Trail crosses an avalanche prone slope that has not developed as of yet. The Winter Route is not built for travel without adequate snow cover, so although we are in winter, please help keep the Winter Route in good shape by using the Summer Trail.

KDT
    I just noticed that today as well. I can't imagine that to last too much longer though. One decent storm should fill everything in.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

I find this navigation info a learning experience from those MUCH wiser than I. I have always traveled with just me, the mountain and a compass in my pocket. I have always made a mental note of the trail on the way up and any tricky parts I have always marked for the way down. I know this mountain so well that maybe I have a false sense of security. I think tomorrow I will be looking at G.P.S. units. It only takes one time to pay for that false sense of security.

Thanks

Default winter route

Thanks fella's for posting that reminder - regarding summer vs winter route -I neglected to mention it - it's always prudent to check the av report - that will tell you which route is open - also watch for the orange sign on the tucks trail as to whether the winter route is open.
    Climbabout

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KD Talbot

KDT
    Can't believe summer route still open. I went thru here on my Nov. climb with no crampons. Bet that is not the case now.

Thanks

Thanks for the GPS coordinates... I plotted them on MapSource and they look pretty much dead on.

Thanks again. Big help to have these waypoints already entered...

kk153

Thanks

Default great info here!!

Nice to see how many people have looked thru all the info here. If you are at all interested or have questions in reguards to climbing the rock pile in winter this thread is full of valuable info. For all those who do a winter ascent have fun and be safe.

Thanks

Default Summitted 3/10

As a follow up...

I summitted on 3/10. Excellent conditions, challenging climb. Thanks to all who posted info. In that is was my first climb on Washington your beta was invaluable. Also, GREAT gps coordinates.

Thanks again.

kk153

Thanks

Default congrats

Congrats on your summit - sounds like you had everything dialed in -
    Tim