Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Better than the cog railway?

Thanks

Shipping on water is still the most economical means of getting large amounts of goods from one place to another. And if a dam is in the way, this may be the best way to get around it. And as far as the Panama Canal goes, there is currently a project starting to basically double the size at the cost of about $5 billlion.

http://news.independent.co.uk/busine...cle3157803.ece

It was the smaller canals that were not able to successfully compete against the railroads

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Patrad Fischroy
    Shipping on water is still the most economical means of getting large amounts of goods from one place to another. And if a dam is in the way, this may be the best way to get around it. And as far as the Panama Canal goes, there is currently a project starting to basically double the size at the cost of about $5 billlion.

http://news.independent.co.uk/busine...cle3157803.ece

It was the smaller canals that were not able to successfully compete against the railroads
    I agree, water is cheap. And there's no argument from me about Panama or Suez Canal type projects. A 30 mile trip across Panama is much easier than a 10,000 mile trip around Cape Horn. If only they had made it a sea level canal as originally planned.

I'm still interested in learning where that thing is. A large reservoir somewhere in Russia that apparently is still moving quite a bit of cargo by water.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Patrad Fischroy
    Its amazing the canals that used to traverse the east. From the well known Erie Canal to canals connecting Lake Erie and the Ohio River in West Virginia. I think there's an old canal/rail system that connected the Potomac and Pittsburgh.
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill O
    Its amazing the canals that used to traverse the east. From the well known Erie Canal to canals connecting Lake Erie and the Ohio River in West Virginia. I think there's an old canal/rail system that connected the Potomac and Pittsburgh.

Do you mean this one?

http://www.atatrail.org/

A portion of this trail runs from DC out to Cumberland, MD on the towpath ot the C&O canal. The whole trail system runs west to Pittsburgh

Thanks

That's it. There was an article about that in a recent NG Adventure Magazine.
    Bill
    EasternLight