Thread: Monroe Brook and Dodge's Drop

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Monroe Brook and Dodge's Drop

Hi,

I am looking for information about Monroe Brook and Dodge’s Drop. I have done some winter hiking, but am looking to get into something a little more technical. I don’t think I am ready for Huntington’s, but am just looking for a fun alpine ascent. Any suggestions would be appreciated. As far as weather and conditions, I am planning this trip for March.

I have some experience winter climbing including Mt Washington (climbing the sluice to the summit and skiing in tucks). I’ve also summited Lafayette last year and Adams via the Airway Trail earlier this year. I have also climbed the pinnacle buttress in Huntington Ravine in summer.

Thanks!

Thanks

You'll have plenty of skiers keeping you company in March. You could stay at the Hermit Lake shelters. See these sites for info.

http://www.tuckerman.org/

http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/camp...ke-shelter.cfm
    Joe Dodge,Crystal falls,HoJo's,Tuckermans,Headwall,
    Rockpile,6288.

Thanks

Dodge's drop would be a fun climb. Steep, plenty of exposure, but not technical. Although, a fall might have serious consequences.

My only suggestion is to watch out for descending skiers and avalanches. Even a small slide could take you over some rocks.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

I'm not familiar with Monroe Brook. Is that they skiable gully coming off Monroe on the northwest slope?
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Ya...It branches off of the ammonoosuc ravine trail. I've read alot about skiing it but figured it might be a good ascent too. Doesn't look as steep as Dodge's though...

Thanks

Also avy is definately a concern for both routes...March would be the earliest I could go to avoid as much of that as possible...right?

Thanks

There are still plenty of avalanches in March. Pay attention to the avalanche advisories and you'll do fine. Or you could wait a month or so and dodge Buick sized ice blocks.
    Joe Dodge,Crystal falls,HoJo's,Tuckermans,Headwall,
    Rockpile,6288.