Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Auto Road or no Auto Road??

Thanks

Question Auto Road or no Auto Road??

Doesn't seem these forms are getting much use. People are looking but few are posting. Maybe this hot topic can generate some interest. Should there be a road to the top of Mount Washington?? My feeling is with the cog, shuttle vans and tourist vans there doesn't need to be private cars also. Private cars should be parked at the bottom and people should then use either the vans or the cog. With Private cars the mountain is selling their soul for $$. What is your thought?

Thanks

Should Wayne, NJ have continue to be incorporated being that it was built largely on pristine wetlands and floodplain...

Ultimately, the autoroad and the observatory are very different organizations, with very different missions, and that should be clear in any debates on the MWO forums. The Observatory depends on the auto road to allow transit, and the auto road is the benefit of MWO press and publicity.

The auto road IMO allows people to come up and experience the beauty, ecology and all amazing attributes of the alpine zone, and hopefully leave more environmentally aware. I was grateful for it when I worked there years back, and continue to be when I visit New England...

Thanks

intern how does Wayne get pulled into this? Seeing you know so much about Wayne maybe you need to look into Wayne's open space plan and flood
    buyout plan. I am proud to volunteer on Wayne's open space committee and extremely proud of what Wayne is doing. The question is should the auto road be open for cars other than the shuttle vans and hiker vans.

Drivintrcks Guest

Exclamation

Well I just moved up here from CT and I have yet to go to the top of the mtn. But I do plan on going sometime so I will let you know. I am however hearing it's a fun ride up though...

Thanks

The Auto Road is a commercial business. One could buy them out and make new rules. "Only can use company vans and station wagons. MWO and other summit employees can use the road to transport supplies."

That would produce a different business model which would probably not be very viable with the current number of vans and station wagons. So, the new company would buy a fleet of new vans to meet the demand and we are back to where we are today. Or buy the business and not let the public use the road at all. That buyer better have pretty deep pockets.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rockin rex
    intern how does Wayne get pulled into this? Seeing you know so much about Wayne maybe you need to look into Wayne's open space plan and flood
    buyout plan. I am proud to volunteer on Wayne's open space committee and extremely proud of what Wayne is doing. The question is should the auto road be open for cars other than the shuttle vans and hiker vans.
    Rex,

I am glad to hear that your hometown is doing alot to protect it's surrounding environment. And we need more volunteers like you! It's about sustainable use, and therefore I think your post further proves my point.

There is developed land in Wayne, there is preserved land in Wayne. There is alot of presevered land around the auto road, there is the auto road. Hence I don't have a problem with it existing in it's current capacity, and see no use in a 'buyout plan' as it allows so many people to come up and experience the mountains and preserved and NFS land on their own time and terms...and it adds environmental awareness...which we need alot more of in this world!

Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by afmrintern
    Rex,

I am glad to hear that your hometown is doing alot to protect it's surrounding environment. And we need more volunteers like you! It's about sustainable use, and therefore I think your post further proves my point.

There is developed land in Wayne, there is preserved land in Wayne. There is alot of presevered land around the auto road, there is the auto road. Hence I don't have a problem with it existing in it's current capacity, and see no use in a 'buyout plan' as it allows so many people to come up and experience the mountains and preserved and NFS land on their own time and terms...and it adds environmental awareness...which we need alot more of in this world!
    Point well taken. I have to agree with you.

Thanks

rex---

I think perhaps you might research the histories of both the Cog and the Road, their relationship to development of the Summit, what kind of development has existed on the summit during the 145 years of access, and how that all has changed through time.

There is such a rich historical perspective there, both in economics and social status, it couldn't hurt to become familiar.

The Road was 145 years old this August, the Cog about 10 years younger. Both were built to allow access to the summit by any and all who could pay for the passage.

If you think there is "selling soul for $$$" now, please ask yourself how that has changed over the rough century and a half of commercial operations at 6288'.

I can't imagine how the issues of "waste treatment" or "potable water" were addressed at the heyday of the Summit House Hotel (s).

With all commercial operators on the summit now operating under concise consent agreements with the National Forest Service, I'd have to opine that the summit is more responsibly managed at this time than 100 years ago.

Even the AMC "Lakes of the Clouds" uses the Auto Road for hut resupply and maintenance at the hut and intersecting trails.

Without historical perspective, it is easy to make a personal statement in the here and now.

MWO hosts this forum, I value informed balance and perspective over stirring the pot.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks

I can remember my first hike to the summit when I was a kid - getting to the parking lot and seeing all the cars. I can still remember two women, "Mable, they walked up here!"

I will take Mt Washington any way it comes. It is a joy to be up there.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Breeze
    rex---

I think perhaps you might research the histories of both the Cog and the Road, their relationship to development of the Summit, what kind of development has existed on the summit during the 145 years of access, and how that all has changed through time.

There is such a rich historical perspective there, both in economics and social status, it couldn't hurt to become familiar.

The Road was 145 years old this August, the Cog about 10 years younger. Both were built to allow access to the summit by any and all who could pay for the passage.

If you think there is "selling soul for $$$" now, please ask yourself how that has changed over the rough century and a half of commercial operations at 6288'.

I can't imagine how the issues of "waste treatment" or "potable water" were addressed at the heyday of the Summit House Hotel (s).

With all commercial operators on the summit now operating under concise consent agreements with the National Forest Service, I'd have to opine that the summit is more responsibly managed at this time than 100 years ago.

Even the AMC "Lakes of the Clouds" uses the Auto Road for hut resupply and maintenance at the hut and intersecting trails.

Without historical perspective, it is easy to make a personal statement in the here and now.

MWO hosts this forum, I value informed balance and perspective over stirring the pot.

Just my 2 cents.

Breeze how do you know what I do or do not about the history of Mount Washington? I am one of only a few that have been married on the summit. Believe me I know Mount Washington and that is why I decided to say my vows there. Instead of cutting people down just make your points. I did see you mentioned Lake of the clouds being resupplied from the auto road. Does that mean that Laffayette should also have a road for Greenleaf?? Or that Twin should have a road for Galehead? Yes the road has history and you are correct in that. As others before you have stated very nicely, the road definetly has its place on Mount Washington and does allow many people to explore the summit that would not be able to any other way.