Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Auto Road or no Auto Road??

Thanks

Default An Auto Road

Hi! I climbed Mount Washington for the first time last July (my husband and I celebrated our 1 year anniversary this way). We were lucky in that the day we climbed there was a bike race up the auto road so no private vehicle traffic was allowed. It was awesome to be sharing the summit with just other hikers! We ended up doing the Seek the Peak challenge, which, by the way, we highly recommend...what a great time! Anyway, it was satisfying to know that only hikers were at the summit. I remember climbing Cadillac Mountian in Acadia National Park earlier in the summer, arriving at the summit sweaty and tired and seeing all the fresh tourists all nice and cool and clean in their sandals. I have to admit to feeling a little unnerved by the crowds and the traffic. I would have to agree that private vehicles should not drive the auto road. I do think that the public transportation is important though for those folks whose health and stamina could not support a vigorous climb. It would be a shame for them to miss such beautiful views.

Thanks

Thumbs up Auto Road Yes

My husband and I have taken the Cog and driven the Auto road. We have this tradition of every car we have had has been up the auto road. We travel to N.H. every year . I love riding the Cog but We can't afford to ride it every year so we drive up. We enjoy our trip every year and this year was great as we took a tour of the weather station. Going to N.H. and not being able to drive up to the top would be sad. We have been doing it for about 35 years. Auto Road YES . That is my 2 cents(from an old lady)
    J Hosmer:

Thanks

Well, I do get really annoyed at all the arrogant people at the top who don't understand what some people have gone throught to get there, but Washington, because of it's height, has to be a sacriical mountain of sorts. Because Washington has the road, Liberty, Lafayette, and a host of innumerable other peaks are clean and car/tourist free. I don't know if its worth it, but thats what it is. Climb in the winter and there won't be anyone.
    5 Days 2007-2008

Thanks

Having never been on the auto road, and having been at the top 6 times i can say that it is a pleasure knowing some people will never get the real experience of hiking it all up, because i could care less of the people who bring their dogs up and the elderly who take a seat and don't leave until they have to.

With my little understanding of the economics of the whole situation i'll say this: the top of mt washington supports the operations of many more mountains. Profit margin doesn't exist in the gift shop like it does in the rest of the world and if they have to sell bottles of water for $2 so be it, i'll drink the water halfway down the mountain knowing it never touched plastic.

Keep the road, because there's plenty of mountains in the northeast

Thanks

I have hiked the mountain many times. And I have driven to the summit every year since I was a kid. So for the past 30 something years, I have seen what I have wanted to see. I have never taken a shuttle, nor the cog.

The mountain has a lure to it, it draws all takes of life. It is a last frontier in a sense, and taking away another option is not worth it in my opinion. I have the places I like to stop and enjoy the view, have lunch, and walk out to with my kids. My kids at this point are to little to make the physical hike up, but they enjoy the mountain, and it will be passed down to them as it has been to me. In a few years they will enjoy the hiking also, but they will also enjoy the ride.

Being placed in a cattle car to see what someone else wants me to see is not my idea of a vacation. If I wanted to do that, I would take a cruise.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skituxnoob
    the top of mt washington supports the operations of many more mountains.
    With the exception of Cannon Mtn Ski Area (owned by the state), neither the Mount Washington State Park, the MW Auto Road, nor the MW Observatory operate any other mountains. These are the only organizations that earn income from shops on Mt Washington.

Thanks

Thanks for clarifying. I have no problem with the road, someones gotta get inspired somehow if they want to gain 4,000 ft over 4-5 miles.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skituxnoob
    Thanks for clarifying. I have no problem with the road, someones gotta get inspired somehow if they want to gain 4,000 ft over 4-5 miles.
    I have no problem with the road either. Just make sure it is not my car. The trip up is a tough steady climb where you need a good flowing radiator. The trip down needs a special low gear transmission a normal car does not have. So, a car will wear the brakes down a lot - or even overheat them.

I would never consider buying a car with a "I drove up Mt Washington" bumper
    sticker.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    I have no problem with the road either. Just make sure it is not my car. The trip up is a tough steady climb where you need a good flowing radiator. The trip down needs a special low gear transmission a normal car does not have. So, a car will wear the brakes down a lot - or even overheat them.

I would never consider buying a car with a "I drove up Mt Washington" bumper
    sticker.
    Brad, you are entitled to your opinion, but I don't understand why you think a special low gear transmission is needed????

Breeze

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Breeze
    Brad, you are entitled to your opinion, but I don't understand why you think a special low gear transmission is needed????

Breeze
    My comments are based on being told several years ago that the vans and station wagons owned by the Auto Road company are fitted with a different transmission and larger radiator. It is like having a heavy duty towing package - in a car. The normal street mini-van is not designed for the level of strain experienced on the Auto Road.

Certainly, things may have changed with car technology. But, I struggle with the idea that a normal car is really set for that level of continuous strain - going up and coming down. I would not put my car through it. My SUV is equipped for heavy duty towing and probably would do just fine. With 185,000 miles in 3 years on it I would still not drive it up the mountain.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012