Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Auto Road or no Auto Road??

Thanks

Brad, the GMC Sahara vans ( there are no station wagons) owned by the Auto Road are geared, equipped, and maintained for 5 to 7 round trips per day, day in and day out, spring summer and fall. There is a more frequent oil change requirement and a high level of maintenance looking towards fluid levels on a daily basis with vehicles in this heavy service. Believe me, the Auto Road drivers have their forms to fill out to keep the fleet legal.

That is in no way the experience of a single car doing a round trip one time. Auto Tranny== first gear up and down. Got a Triptronic and can't find 1st ( never BTDT) Ask me, I can show you.

Too many people have a hissy over this and blow it off, it is an automatic tranny they say, and it knows what to do. LOL Doom on them.

It is a drivers world, look out for the drivers, not the cars

Breeze
    Last edited by Breeze; 10-31-2006 at 08:49 PM.

jjppeanut Guest

Default To Rex....

Greetings and salutations Rex: So you're one of the people who married on Mt Wash. Sounds great. I have not married yet. I thought you may want to read this post, my first, and maybe my last. I am not a writer. I'm not good with pictures either. I am one of few people born on Mt. Wash. My mother and father wanted their baby (me) born on Mt. Wash. So, my mother and father, and my mom's mid-wife camped out in Emily's Cave, which is on the Mt. Wash summit cone. It's the cave used by Emily, the German lady, during World War II. On their 4th day at the cave, June 12, 1956, I was born. It was a big day for me. My mother couldn't leave until the next day, and that's when we all left the mountain for home. I have climbed or hiked Mt. Wash over 735 times. I helped save a family on Mt Wash in 1973 or 1974. The good: people I've meet, good times, good views. The bad: large amount of my natural lifetime used. When I pass on, I may have a small service on Mt. Wash, next to the 1821 memorial marker on the summit cone. Well, I hope you enjoyed my story, Rex, as I enjoyed reading your posts. Take care, Jeff.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jjppeanut
    Greetings and salutations Rex: So you're one of the people who married on Mt Wash. Sounds great. I have not married yet. I thought you may want to read this post, my first, and maybe my last. I am not a writer. I'm not good with pictures either. I am one of few people born on Mt. Wash. My mother and father wanted their baby (me) born on Mt. Wash. So, my mother and father, and my mom's mid-wife camped out in Emily's Cave, which is on the Mt. Wash summit cone. It's the cave used by Emily, the German lady, during World War II. On their 4th day at the cave, June 12, 1956, I was born. It was a big day for me. My mother couldn't leave until the next day, and that's when we all left the mountain for home. I have climbed or hiked Mt. Wash over 735 times. I helped save a family on Mt Wash in 1973 or 1974. The good: people I've meet, good times, good views. The bad: large amount of my natural lifetime used. When I pass on, I may have a small service on Mt. Wash, next to the 1821 memorial marker on the summit cone. Well, I hope you enjoyed my story, Rex, as I enjoyed reading your posts. Take care, Jeff.
    Jeff,

I wish you would post more as it would be fun to hear about some of your many hikes up the mountain. I can understand an emotional attachment to Mt Washington (which many of us have), but yours is for real!

Thanks for posting.

Question - how do you know you have been up 735 times? I know my next hike will be #50 as I have a log book.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Default Born on the mountain

Jeff I have finally found someone who understands the incredible pull that Mount Washington has!! You are the first person I have heard of that was Born on the rock pile. That is so awesome!! Jeff with all the ties you have to Mount Washington you should put it down on paper. I would love to read about the hikes that you taken over the many years. I really hope you post more.

Thanks

Thumbs up

Jeff,
    I agree with Brad and Rockin Rex. It would be awesome to read your posts about your hikes to the Rockpile. I am sure you have some doozy (spelling) of a story you can share. Also I think it is so cool you were born on Mt Washington. that is something not alot of people can say. Awesome! I keep on telling my wife when I leave this Earth to scatter me among the mountain tops of the Northern Applacahians. Love the mountains.

Thanks

That is amazing. I would love to hear about your trips up and down the mountain also.

Thanks

I can remember as a kid in summer camp going with a group across from Lakes of the Clouds hut to the summit. It was a nice day and then the clouds started forming in the valley to the west and they came racing up the ravine and all around us. The temperature dropped so that as we breathed out our breath was blown back on our faces and it froze. Then it started to snow.

This was the first week of August! It is amazing how quickly the weather can change and how bad it can get even in summer.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012