Thread: New member with a question

Priestm19 Guest

Default New member with a question

Hi all, I'm glad to join this group, and I have a few questions to start off with if you don't mind. I'm planning on climbing the north side of Mt. Adams in late January, any advice or important that I should be aware of? I climbed the south trail a few years ago, and I have some basic climbing and outdoors experiance. Any extra adive would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help!

Thanks

Default Climbing Adams

There is no "south trail" per se, so could you be more specific about what you climbed? There are several trails from the north, any particular one in mind?

KDT

Thanks

I still have never hiked Adams, otherwise I would gladly offer my advice.

Thanks

Question Adams south side??

Not sure what trail you are speaking of? I am thinking that you went up the Star Lake trail that goes up the southwest side of Adams from Madison Hut. The Star Lake trail is rough and steep but it is only a mile to the summit though it does take around an hour to reach the top via this trail. Those who enjoy the Star Lake trail would really like climbing Adams by way of the Kings Ravine Trail. Kings Ravine Trail is my favorite way to climb Adams but there are many other trails up Adams that are great!! Airline is awesome but very exposed above tree and Spur trail is nice also but is extremely steep in spots!! Spur trail is protected all the way to Crag camp and then above Crag camp starts to break tree. The easiest way up is Lowes Path but this trail even though well used is steep in spots. Adams either from Lowes Store or Appalachia parking lot is a GREAT day hike. Start early and allow plenty of time to enjoy the incredible beauty. I have a very hard time leaving the summit of Adams. It is one of my favorite summits. Just a little note. The sunrises from Adams are the best I have ever seen.

Thanks

Rex hit the nail on the head. The Subway section of the King Ravine trail is about as interesting as you can get get anywhere.